Any Alaskin Historians Here?

75renegade

All over the world, each culture has its traditional alcoholic drink that is typically related to its geographic locale.

My roommate makes wine & beer which are common drinks throughout the western & mid-western USA. Particularly, since grape an' grain crops are friendly to our own type of geography.

A friend an' I were tryin' to speculate this week, with some curiosity, about what drinks have been traditionally native to the great state of Alaska.

Not talkin' so much nowdays, with all the benefits of modern transportation.

What about say, prior to the goldrush?:confuse2:

Feel free to comment on yer own particular locale, whether in or out of the States, as that will be interestin' as well, but for all of youins in Alaska, a special thanks, in advance for yer thoughts!:)

Got me. Although i can tell you that Vodka has always been a simple Alaskan favorite thanks to our neighbors.

Nazdarovye!!

75renegade said:
Feel free to comment on yer own particular locale, whether in or out of the States, as that will be interestin' as well

Tequila is typical from Jalisco.
Mezcal is from Jalisco and Michoacan, and pulque is from Michoacan.

I'm sure we have far more alcoholic beverages, i just don't know them :D

Beer has become typical of Mexico but it wasn't invented here.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Got me. Although i can tell you that Vodka has always been a simple Alaskan favorite thanks to our neighbors.

Nazdarovye!!

Hey that expression is pretty much the same in Poland.

[/useless info]

Many people who've lived in the Appalachians all thier lives make their own "moonshine". In North Georgia, this usually takes the form of "Apple jack", which is fermented apple squeezings. Strong enough to strip the paint off your car, or run the engine. Corn squeezings aren't uncommon, either.

Of course, if you're talking about legal stuff, most of my neighbors drink beer.

Back