Attention dog lovers

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
As discussed here earlier, I lost my beloved dog a few months ago. Elvis was very dear to me, and therefore I don't want another basset hound just yet. I'd rather keep our reationship special for a few years.

We have another dog, Louis, a German Police dog, who is wonderful. Louis has been with us now for about two years I guess, maybe a little less. Still...

I think I'm ready for a dog of my own again. And that's where I need a little help from someone who knows more than I do about a certain breed.

Any dog we get must be outdoors. I am not big on indoor dogs or cats. Weather extremes excluded naturally, but I prefer an outdoor dog. I like larger dogs...no barking rats or prima donna yipping nuisances please. Lastly, we have yet to get a fenced in area for the yard, and it might be next summer before we can afford to fence, so it would need to be a dog capable of either staying close or finding his/her way back if he/she wanders. Louis runs free and is very good at coming back. He generally stays very close anyway so he could help with that I guess.

Does anyone know much about foxhounds? I've read some online about them, and am predisposed to the hound family anyway. They seem like good dogs from what I've read. My biggest fear with a foxhound is that it could get stolen...lots of hunters around here. We get dogs dumped back here a lot, usually gunshy or injured hunting dogs (bear, coon, you name it.)

I also like bulldogs (boxer or English), Huskies (too warm in the summer I'm afraid), German Shepherds, beagles, and bloodhounds. I may just get a Heinz 57 from the Humane Society though. Any suggestions or info on these specific breeds (I have owned boxers and German Shepherds before) would be much appreciated.

Labrador retrievers are good for outdoors AFAIK. Love cold weather and can take hot one pretty well. Smart dogs without a doubt, but could be somewhat needy and would demand more attention and house space from time to time.

Yeah, labs are cool but they are also destructive. Every one I've been around will either dig a hundred holes or tear up anything they can reach.

They can be trained to prevent that. But if you're looking to skip training then they definitely are not for you.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest a Shih Tzu. Now, before you lose it ... it's a small dog, yeah, an indoor dog, perhaps .... but zero yap factor. You'd need to have a good breeder, because physically, they're identical to the Lhasa Apso, which was bred to yap for a living. the lhasa was bred as an alarm dog for the tibetan temples. The Shih Tzu was bred as ... a flea bag. It was bred until it's got a genetic level requirement to be in physical contact with it's humans. But since these were usually given as gifts to kings and the like, they're also bred to stay totally quiet and undemanding.

I prefer Heinz 57 --- loyal and loving to a fault. Just make sure neutered or spayed --- saves a lot of headaches.

One of mine is half Akita and half the big black lab down the hill. Pretty good combo --- barks only when necessary. Digs a little, but very neat about it --- the dirt doesn't fly everywhere making it easier to put back in the hole.

Yeah, labs are cool but they are also destructive. Every one I've been around will either dig a hundred holes or tear up anything they can reach.

My two are lab mixes and they did have to have the no digging in the yard rule explained at some length. Used to have a couple of Shelties (Shetland Sheep dogs). Really smart. One barked constantly though and the other would only bark to get your attention or chase something out of the yard. :shrug: They're not known for being yappie though and they're a bit small. Border Collies are about the same, I hear. What about a Collie? I've never had one but I've known a few. Big, affectionate and smart (I like smart dogs).

Edit: Like TRL though, the way a dog feels to me is much more important that the breed. I'm pretty sure you know that though.

I like labs, I know a few people with them and after some training they haven't had any problems.

Prof: Your comment about "Lhasa Apsos are bred to yap" made me LOL...when my dog (a 'Lil' asshole' as my dad always said) was young she was VERY VERY yappy...I love her though :D If I ever get a dog I want a little bulldog or a pug :)

I'm a softie fopr the 57 variety. Less likely to have the annoying features & irritants of purebreds.

I hear bloodhounds (blue tick perhaps) are might fine companions.

That's not a joke, tho, Nix. They were bred together with the tibetan mastive as a set. The Lhasas would wander the temples as they would, and upon seeing any stranger at all, would set up the alarm. That would bring the mastives running. And since the Lhasas were fast and small, there was no escaping them once they locked onto you. You couldn't run, you couldn't hide, and you had some very big, angry mastives bearing down on you. You were dead already.

I don't suggest a border collie. They're WAY too smart and WAY too energetic. I don't think in your current state of health you'd have the energy to train it enough to make it loyal enough to stay around home.

Something that'll stick close to home - a Great Dane maybe?

I do think that Heinz 57 is your best bet. And the pound will appreciate it.

That's not a joke, tho, Nix. They were bred together with the tibetan mastive as a set. The Lhasas would wander the temples as they would, and upon seeing any stranger at all, would set up the alarm. That would bring the mastives running. And since the Lhasas were fast and small, there was no escaping them once they locked onto you. You couldn't run, you couldn't hide, and you had some very big, angry mastives bearing down on you. You were dead already.

Oh, I know it isn't a joke...ever heard the statement "It's funny cause it's true!" that's kinda what I was getting at :p

Back