Bash the FRENCH

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
France has once again refused to support the Coalition over the war with Iraq.

French foreign minister Dominique de Villepin gave a talk at London's International Institute for Strategic Studies in his first visit to Britain since the outbreak of war.

During a question and answer session at the end of his speech he refused to answer the question: "Who do you want to win the war?"

France has been fiercely opposed to the US and British-led military action against Saddam Hussein's regime.

De Villepin said France's main priority in the reconstruction of Iraq would be for the United Nations to pass a humanitarian resolution on the oil-for-food programme.

He said the UN must be at the heart of the reconstruction of Iraq following a crisis which has "shattered" the established world order.

But he said he was also confident that France and the United States would re-establish the close ties they enjoyed before the Iraqi crisis unfolded.

Mr de Villepin and French president Jacques Chirac have clashed repeatedly with Tony Blair and Foreign Secretary Jack Straw over how to resolve the Iraq crisis.

At the lowest point of the diplomatic feud, Downing Street described the French threat to veto a second UN resolution in any circumstances as "poisonous".

With Jack Straw accompanying Mr Blair on his trip to the US there are thought to be no plans for another British Foreign Office minister to meet Mr de Villepin while he is in Britain.
Last Updated: 16:09 UK, Thursday March 27, 2003
SkyNews

Go!!!!!

chcr

Too cute for words
Another true story? A friend of mine is an officer in the naval reserve. A few weeks ago, he was attending a conference that included admirals in both the US and the French navies. At a cocktail reception, my friend found himself in a small group that included an admiral from each of the two navies. The French admiral started complaining that whereas Europeans learned many languages, Americans only learned English.He then asked, "Why is it that we have to speak English in these conferences rather than you have to speak French?"
Without even hesitating, the American admiral replied.
"Maybe it is because we arranged it so that you did not have to learn to speak German."The group became silent. :elaugh2:

chcr

Too cute for words
What an ass the American was.
Sorry, I have neither the time nor the inclination to be tactful or PC. Any moron can go through life without offending anyone.

flavio

Banned
Well it's a tired joke lately but it's true the American gave an extremely abrasive answer.

Besides they helped the US not to be a English colony.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What country would you prefer to live in flavio? If the US is so bad & demented there must be one or two which are better, in your view.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm thinking France, they are against the war, they wouldn't have killed any of the Indians, and they have the morals dead on.

flavio

Banned
I love the US more than anywhere. I'm a bit upset with the current administrations decisions but one day they will pass.

I have to fight the Gonzo propaganda machine though. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You're not just bashing Bush, you're also bashing our, admittedly sometimes unpleasant, history. You've moved from political wranglng to America bashing.

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm a bit upset with the current administrations decisions but one day they will pass.

So am I, Flavio. I think we're sending American boys to die to line George II's friend's and family's pockets. We're in the war now though, and there are some reasons for it as well as against. If you disagree with something, that doesn't automatically make it propaganda. The reverse is just as true. The soldiers are doing their duty whether you agree with the policy behind it or not.

As for the french bashing, I'm not tired, don't read the thread if you are. BTW, in the French and Indian War, the french were perfectly happy to let the indians do most of the dying. And yes, I believe that just as many indians would have been massacred.

I wonder if you can name the propaganda campaign that historians generally agree was the most successful in history?

flavio

Banned
chcr said:
If you disagree with something, that doesn't automatically make it propaganda. The reverse is just as true.

My mention of the fighting the "Gonzo propaganda machine" was referencing the pure number of threads he puts up trying to support the war....which I think deserve a counterpoint.