Battlefield 2

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What a disappointment. Such a kick ass line...1942 & Vietnam, is being ruined. The new game, set for a fall release appears to be online only. Lots of news & intersting toys Site

Here's to hoping they add Single Player functionality, or at least the Co-Op, single player able multiplayer.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
But then again

One detail about the game has to do with the single-player experience and how that will be improved. Initially DICE were very forthcoming with promises of new advanced AI making the single-player experience seem like a Co-Op mode but since then they have become very evasive regarding that aspect of the game. As far as that side of things is concerned most gamers have adopted a let's wait and see approach since single-player is not why BF is so popular.

Lopan

Wow another war orientated FPS. What a innovative game. These games haven't at all become boring and predictable.

Bring back games that aren't just a homage to the programmers physics engine. War FPS are just a pissing contest for designers.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Erm so you haven't played it then. Thought not. Check the attachment :D

I love BF 1942 but I do agree that the AI could do with a tweak in single player at least although I did notice a huge difference between the release version and 1.45 which I just downloaded. Can't be bothered downloading another 200 meg to get to 1.6 :lol2:

I haven't actually tried BF 1942 online yet (because of my tendancy to get owned relentlessly in online FPS games).....whats it like?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What's it like? Getting shot by your enemies (frequently), your friends (sometimes), your team mates (often) & ocassionally shooting someone else. It might abe a hoot to play with half a dozen buddies, LAN style, but there are just too many children out there to be truly enjoyable. That's been my experience.

Raven

Annoying SOB
So pretty much like any other PvP game out there then :(

Thats a shame, think I'll stick with single player for now and play Battle of Britain map over and over as the allies :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
That is a great map...to bad my MS Sidewinder joystick has taken this opportunity (a day of the week) to decide that it & XP really aren't suposed to be friends. MS says :shrug: buy a newer one.

MrBishop

Never been a huge fan of FPS games... with Halflife being the one real exception. I do get a kick out of the flying WWII planes though... the more realistic, the better. How is Battlefield II for that portion? 1942, I'm told, had decent plane dynamics...or am I thinking about another game?

Re: your joystick...try 3rd party drivers. My old joystick didn't like XP either, but I found a driver at drivers.com which gives me 90% usage... the only bit is that I can either use my top-hat to look around or I can use all the buttons. I usually give up the pinky-button on the handle for the top-hat anyday of the week :D

Raven

Annoying SOB
BF 1942 is excellent if you like the planes. Or tanks, mobile artillery, submarines, jeeps, landing craft, aircraft carriers, shore batteries or cruisers too for that matter. Everything in the game world is completely interactive.

I especially enjoy the Berlin map as the Germans because the Russians organise themselves into fireteams with tank support and the you spend the entire game either running from cover to cover or pinned down in a damaged building, it's great!

If you like planes though, the pacific maps are for you....carrier takeoffs, low level bombing runs, torpedo strikes and of course dogfighting are all in there....in fact it's hard to win some maps without airpower. I.e on the Wake Island map you have to defend said island from a Japenese assault....you have some nice shore batteries to help you with the task. If you start harrasing their landing craft with these guns they'll divert some airborne delivery men with special packages just for you heh :D

Lopan

If you want to play an excellent fps then try Deus Ex (game of year 2000). All war FPS are just pastiches of medal of honour.

Join the army if you want real war experience, weekend warriors need not apply.

Raven

Annoying SOB
You mean Deus Ex the excellent PC game thats just a show off physics engine? ;)

Deus Ex does rock but nowhere near as much as the second one does :D

Lopan

Don't talk rubbish, the game that was meant to proceed Deus Ex was nothing like it was supposed to be.

Deus Ex had a very good story and a very high level of playabilty.

It outstripped doom and unreal tournament.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Thats because Doom and UT are two very different kind of games from Deus Ex. Mindless blasting like that found in Doom will only get you so far in Deus Ex and leaping around all the time while firing rockets at the ground a la UT will just get you dead in very short order.

Deus Ex's strong point is that it can be whatever you want it to be. Stealth 'em up...you got it. Tactical FPS? It's in there. Gung ho shoot first sod the questions blasting can also be pulled off albeit only in certain areas....it just isn't a 'twitch' shooter like the other two are.

And which preceeding Deus Ex do you speak of? The sequel takes place 25 or so years after JC's antics brought about the collapse.

Inkara1

MrBishop said:
Re: your joystick...try 3rd party drivers. My old joystick didn't like XP either, but I found a driver at drivers.com which gives me 90% usage... the only bit is that I can either use my top-hat to look around or I can use all the buttons. I usually give up the pinky-button on the handle for the top-hat anyday of the week :D
Why would he need third-party drivers for a Microsoft joystick and a Microsoft operating system?

Lopan

Raven said:
Thats because Doom and UT are two very different kind of games from Deus Ex. Mindless blasting like that found in Doom will only get you so far in Deus Ex and leaping around all the time while firing rockets at the ground a la UT will just get you dead in very short order.

Deus Ex's strong point is that it can be whatever you want it to be. Stealth 'em up...you got it. Tactical FPS? It's in there. Gung ho shoot first sod the questions blasting can also be pulled off albeit only in certain areas....it just isn't a 'twitch' shooter like the other two are.

And which preceeding Deus Ex do you speak of? The sequel takes place 25 or so years after JC's antics brought about the collapse.

I said proceed not preceed, the latter and the former. I thought they could have done better with the sequel. It didn't have the same dark edginess to it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Let's see, I joined the United States Army in the early 80s. I never liked FPS, until playing Battlefield 1942. I still play it, or any of its mods, frequently. I also like Medal of Honor & it's various expansion packs. Same with Call of Duty. Far Cry & BF1942 are by far the best. Skill, ingenuity, planning & luck are required to play. Run & gun didn't work in the NFL either.

My Sidewinder works except for the throttle. It only goes to about 70% so flying has become more work than play. Maybe this weekend. Anybody wanna donate to the kittie? I'd like to get the Saitek X52 but I doubt momma will allow a $125. toy. :shrug:

Lopan

Gonz said:
Skill, ingenuity, planning & luck are required to play. Run & gun didn't work in the NFL either.

If you had grown up with computer games you would no thats not true. All FPs can be completed in 4 hours, by just going broken arrow.

Raven

Annoying SOB
I sincerely doubt that with battlefield 1942.....some battles can take an hour at least, more if you play on the higher difficulty settings. And yes it damn well is true go play the damn thing before passing judgement.

Lopan

Played the Demo.

Is it all set in 1942? The battle of Britain wasn't in 1942. War FPS are tedious and predictable. No amount of tweaking and cell shading is going to make the basic premise anymore interesting than the last one.

Designers need to show more imagination. Do you remember playing new zealand story? Now that was a game.