Bear Shot Dead After Breaking into Home

I used to live in Colorado Springs. Where this occurred is out by Manitou Springs and Garden of the Gods which is pretty rustic even though it is fairly close to the city's more developed areas.

Maybe the authorities applied the "Make My Day" law to this case?

dirty-harry.jpg

No Grizzlies on the lower 48. Hunted out decades ago.

I'll have to disagree. There is a healthy population of Grizz in the northern Rockies and Northwest. I don't know if they are as far south as Colorado though.

I do know that there was an attack here about 8 years ago where a black bear broke into a cabin and ate the old lady that lived there. While very rare, black bear attacks can be quite dangerous in their own right.

I'll have to disagree. There is a healthy population of Grizz in the northern Rockies and Northwest. I don't know if they are as far south as Colorado though.

I do know that there was an attack here about 8 years ago where a black bear broke into a cabin and ate the old lady that lived there. While very rare, black bear attacks can be quite dangerous in their own right.

You are correct. They were hunted out but there have been "recovery" programs which have relocated these animals to areas frequented by humans.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/

Locations: Today, grizzly bear distribution is primarily within but not limited to the areas identified as Recovery Zones including--the Yellowstone area in northwest Wyoming, eastern Idaho, and southwest Montana (9,200 square miles (sq mi)) at more than 580 bears; the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem of north central Montana (9,600 sq mi) at more than 400 bears; the North Cascades area of north central Washington (9,500 sq mi) at less than 20 bears; the Selkirk Mountains area of northern Idaho, northeast Washington, and southeast British Columbia (2,200 sq mi) at approximately 40 to 50 bears; and the Cabinet Yaak area of northwest Montana and northern Idaho (2,600 sq mi) at approximately 30 to 40 bears. There is an additional Recovery Zone known as the Bitterroot Recovery Zone in the Bitterroot Mountains of east central Idaho and western Montana (5,600 sq mi) but this area does not contain any grizzly bears at this time. The San Juan Mountains of Colorado also were identified as an area of possible grizzly bear occurrence, but no evidence of grizzly bears has been found in the San Juan Mountains since a bear was killed there in 1979.

When hiking in Grizz territory, it is imperative that you carry pepper spray and wear silver bells to make noise. If you are unsure if girzzlies are in the area, look for their droppings. It will have silver bells in it and smell like pepper.

Back