Besides our S American friends

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
who else finds it's not X-Mas without tamales? I miss my nanny (grandma) & my aunts friend (who made the bestest tamales in the Americas).

I don't like tamales :D

A bit off topic, have you ever noticed how much T vitamin do we eat??
(Tortas, Tortitas, Tacos, Tortillas, Tamales, Tlacoyos....)

Gonz said:
who else finds it's not X-Mas without tamales? I miss my nanny (grandma) & my aunts friend (who made the bestest tamales in the Americas).

It's one of the things I miss most about AZ. Dara makes 'em some years, not this year though.

paul_valaru said:
I've never had a tamale

:crying4:
yes you have...i think we had this discussion once....meat, cornmeal? i miss them...used to live in south texas...road side tamale stands of all things...yum!

You aren't missing much, it is made out of corn, the texture is soft and it tastes nice with cream. There are two mayor variants: salado (salty) and dulce (sweet), most salados have chile and/or meat, and most dulces have nothing visible, but it tastes sweet. If you have ever eaten corundas you'll have a bare idea of what tamales tastes like.

btw, The singular for tamales is tamal

tonks said:
yes you have...i think we had this discussion once....meat, cornmeal? i miss them...used to live in south texas...road side tamale stands of all things...yum!

wrapped in a leaf?
if so, once, asnd I wwant more!!!!!!!

If you make your tamale with corn meal, it will be awful. Corn masa (much finer than meal) is what's used. Also, when Luis refers to chile, he means peppers, not the stuff you make in a pan with hamburger and beans. When I try out a new "Mexican" restaraunt, the first thing I try is a tamale, the good ones are few and far between around here (in fact, there's only one place in town that makes 'em right). I like mine with enchilada sauce, but you usually have to ask. That's not the way they're normally served.

Dammit, now I'm hungry. :D

I've only ever had store bought tamales, I've heard they are shit compared to good homemade ones, but never knew anyone that was reallly good at making them.

Not many are good at making them. You have to be over 55 & preferably Mexican & female to make kickass tamales. It's a time honored tradition that takes years to master. The ones I got are from a small, neighborhood Mex restaurant & the owners fit the description (they don't suck)

Your right Gonz. My wife is the rare exception, but she learned from an older mexican lady. She makes excellent tamales BTW.

Back