Betty Crocker

Rose

Is it just me or is Bettycrocker.com down? www.bettycrocker.com :(

Also, anyone have any good betty crocker recipes (or otherwise) to share? I know we have a cookie recipe thread - and I can't wait to try a couple of them monday.

But I'm looking for pies. And Betty Crocker isn't working for me. :(

i dunno. i like recipes with pictures. apple sounds good. pineapple. :s and ... i'm open for suggestion. no cherry, blueberry, etc.

this is from the fannie farmer cookbook so i bet it's a keeper...i'll not include the recipe for the crust...you can handle that.... :D

pineapple with lemon pie

2 eggs
6 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsps lemon juice
2 tsps grated lemon zest
20 oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks drained and in small pieces
two crust pie crust dough

preheat to 375. get your bottom crust ready (either premade or roll it out etc). cut top crust into strips for latticework top. combine eggs, sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, and lemon rind in a mixing bowl, and beat until mixture is well blended. stir in the pineapple. spread filling in pie shell. make lattice top, trim and crimp edges. bake for about 40 minutes or until it's set and lightly browned.

Okay, here's the Pumpkin Pies. The edges are a little darker than I wanted. I guess taking off the foil edging for the last fifteen minutes wasn't a good idea. D'oh. But they aren't necessarily black, just a bit darker brown than normally wanted.

Pie 1 Closeup
Pie 2 Closeup

Here's the recipe. It's basically Betty Crocker's recipe, I just add my own touch here and there, but it's her recipe.

Best Flaky Pastry Crust

1 cup Medal All-purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp shortening OR 1/3 cup lard
2-3 tablespoons cold water (more as needed)

Mix flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or crisscrossing two knives until particles are the size of small peas. (I generally add a dash or three of cinnamon and maybe a pinch of nutmeg to the crust)

Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, tossing with fork until all four is moistened and pastry almost leaves sides of bowl. You may need more water, but add in small amounts. You can't take it back out!

Gather pastry in a ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured surface. Roll pastry using floured rolling pin into a circle about 2 inches larger than the upside-down pie plate (9x1/4 inches). Fold pastry into fourths, place in pie plate. Gently unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry as desired (leave some on the edge to flute or decorate as desired).

(I generally sprinkle cinnamon lightly on the bottom of the pie crust.

Tempting Pumpkin Pie

Flaky Pastry Crust (above)
2 eggs
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 can pumpkin (15 ounces - NOT pumpkie pie MIX)
1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)

Preheat oven to 425. Beat eggs slightly in medium bowl with wire whisk or hand beater. Beat in remaining ingrediants. (I usually reduce the ginger to about a 1/4 tsp and add a dash or two of allspice and a hint of nutmeg)

Pour filling carefully into pie plate. Bake 15 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350. Bake about 45 minutes or until knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool about 30 minutes. Serve warm or chill as desired.

Decorative Topping

Gather remaining flaky pastry dough and roll out on floured surface. Cut shapes as desired using a cookie cutter, sharp knife, or whatever. I used a rum lid to make the round ornaments. You can also cut out a branch with leaves, santa, christmas tree, virtually anything - be creative!

If you want to color the topping, mix a little bit of water with a little bit of food coloring. The color should be thick, so just use a little water (just a spoonful or so - you can always dilute as needed) and several drops of food coloring. Using a paintbrush (arts and crafts, anyone?) paint on the colors.

:D Enjoy!!

George and the Pastor (the two people I gave the pies too) said they were better than George's mom's pies and definately most excellant. :D I know he must exaggerate some ... but kickass!

:headbang:

And daddy used to call me Ellie Mae when I was growing up because of my cooking .... :p

psst *bump*

Tonks - I made the pineapple pie for Christmas. I skipped the lattic top and instead opted for a closed top - only I cut out a christmas tree in the top dough that took up most of the top - but I then cut the cut-out piece about an inch around the edge all around the tree and laid it in the center of the pie. That way it was mostly covered, but had about an inch of "stencil" pie showing. :s I guess that's the way to describe it.

Anyway, no one touched the pies except the father-in-law (who's the only won that counted anyway). They did, however, go back to the turkey ham and other foods about three times apiece therefore ALL desserts were basically ignored. Good ol' Bob, though - always has room for sweets.

The pie passed his liking. :D I tried to save a couple pieces for myself and wrapped a couple for the niece to take home. :rolleyes: In all the mess of wrapped-in-foil-leftover-food-and-desserts - all the pineapple pie came up missing. :cry:

I plan on making it again, though, in the coming week or so and I'll let you know. :D

Do you have an over thermometer to make sure that your temperature is properly dialed in?

I wonder if the addition of a small amount of water in a seperate dish inside the oven would do anything about over browning or dryness. Does anyone know what the addition of humidity to baking does?

if the pie browned toomuch it is because the oven temp is too high...your oven may need....recalibrating...is that the right word?...or you can do what i do...fiddle around with the temp dial until things tgurn out well...my oven here runs about 25 degrees too hot..if that is not an issue, you can try strips of tinfoil over the edges of the pie. :)

rob, they say simple as pie for a reason ;) you don't need no stinking thermometer :winkkiss:

ROSE! cool beans :swing:

If y'all are referring to the pumpkin pies - most of the browning was the sugar coating on the "ornaments" that carmalized making it look brown'd. I did do the foil strips around the edges - which work'd grand. Note to self - leave on the foil the entire time of baking, don't remove for the last 10 minutes because sometimes the last ten minutes might turn into 15 or 20 as needed and then ... just leave the foil on. :nod:

Back