BIOS Advice Needed...

Aunty Em

There have been 2 bios upgrades for my board. Below is what they are intended to do. In view of the issues they are sorting out should I upgrade?

kd7cy.exe Bios Issue Date: 2003/01/03
BIOS: CY

Supports Athlon XP 2500+ (333), 2800+ (333), 3000+ (333) CPU.
Change the definition of UUID in DMI data- move the MAC address from top to bottom of the string.
The default year in BIOS set up to 2003.
Fix Athlon XP 1400(100) CPU failed to power up issue.
HPT 372 BIOS Version 2.32. The RAID function is for KD7-RAID only. This BIOS version is also for non RAID boards and HPT BIOS will be automatically disabled while RAID controller chip not detected.
BIOS Compile Date: 1/03/2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kd7cs.exe Bios Issue Date: 2002/11/12
BIOS ID: CS

Revises the initial mechanism of PCI expand ROM for add-on PCI cards with BIOS (SCSI card, LAN card, ...etc.).
Adds "Enhance PCI Performance" function to improve PCI RAID performance.
Fixes issue where the "Shutdown When CPU FAN Fail" option fails after about 16 minutes idling under Windows 2000/XP.
Fixes KD7-E SSID resume error from S3 mode under Windows XP.
Changes ACPI Code to pass HCT ACPI test.
HPT 372 BIOS Version 2.32. The RAID function is for KD7-RAID only. This BIOS version is also for non RAID boards and HPT BIOS will be automatically disabled when the RAID controller chip is not detected.
BIOS compile Date: 11/12/2002.

I was mainly thinking this
Revises the initial mechanism of PCI expand ROM for add-on PCI cards with BIOS (SCSI card, LAN card, ...etc.).
... because of the problems I was having with the drivers and the video card initially.

I don't have any specific drivers loaded for the board except the USB 2.0 because when I loaded the 4 in drivers for PCI, agp etc my radeon 7500 wouldn't work. I was wondering if it was related to that? Also I'm now running 2000 in relation to the cpu fan failure problem.

I didn't upgrade my BIOS when I first configured my pc either, thought I didn't need it. I have a similar board as yours Auntie, a KT7A-RAID.

Over a year later, my pc started freezing on me for no earthly reason. After a real long time trying to figure out what the problem was, it turned out to be fixed with a BIOS update. Apparently, there was some kind of incompatibility between my Maxtor ATA100 drives and the mobo. I only found this out from the Maxtor website when looking for jumper settings.

The fact that it took over a year to surface baffles me but nonetheless, I downloaded every driver/update imaginable including those HPT files and now it's running like a champ.

Because I'm really bad about backing up my data, it took me quite a while to back everything up before it froze on me (had to do it to ZIP). If you wait till you do have a problem to update the BIOS, just make sure you have backups available in case there's a problem. :)

Very true about the backups.

The general guideline is not to fix it til it's broke, but I usually go ahead and get the bios updates. Just remember, they can be risky too. I talked my brother into doing one only to have his super floppy drive not be supported by the new update.

greenfreak said:
I have a similar board as yours Auntie, a KT7A-RAID

My old board is a KT7A v1.0. I flashed that with the last available bios to make it capable of supporting a 1.4 and then never got one, but I plan to overclock my 1GHz TBird as soon as I have unlocked it and got a better heatsink. :)

This probably isn't the issue with your vid card, since we're talking about an AGP card, not a PCI card. This would be VITAL if you were running SCSI drives off an expansion card.

Back