booting from an external CD-ROM drive on my laptop

Jon

Hi,

I've recently acquired a Hewlett Packard Omnibook 2100. Unfortunately it came with no CD-ROM drive, and it looks like I'm going to have to get an external one, because I've just been on HP's site and they don't supply the CDROM module I need anymore :(

So I've got two options. The first one is to get a Teac PCMCIA CDROM drive for £40. The other is to acquire a USB version. Thing is, this laptop has no operating system on it (gotta upgrade the hard drive too, as 3.2GB just ain't cutting it ;)), so I'd like to know which one I'd have the most chance of being able to boot from. The only options it gives me in the BIOS are: "hard disk drive", "diskette drive", and "CD-ROM drive" (I'm assuming this is for the internal module though)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be most grateful!

Thanks in advance! :)

Jon

Jon said:
Hi,

I've recently acquired a Hewlett Packard Omnibook 2100. Unfortunately it came with no CD-ROM drive, and it looks like I'm going to have to get an external one, because I've just been on HP's site and they don't supply the CDROM module I need anymore :(

So I've got two options. The first one is to get a Teac PCMCIA CDROM drive for £40. The other is to acquire a USB version. Thing is, this laptop has no operating system on it (gotta upgrade the hard drive too, as 3.2GB just ain't cutting it ;)), so I'd like to know which one I'd have the most chance of being able to boot from. The only options it gives me in the BIOS are: "hard disk drive", "diskette drive", and "CD-ROM drive" (I'm assuming this is for the internal module though)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be most grateful!

Thanks in advance! :)

Jon

Hmm... me, Id get a 2.5 to 3.5 ide adapter and load the operating system from my desktop pc without any other drive attached. :shrug:

apparently I can just make a boot floppy with the CDROM drivers on and it should work fine...

Back