Bush Budget Will Cut Army Reserves, Jet Funding

The plan is just to not grow the current numbers.
Under the plan, the authorized troop strength of the Army Reserve would drop from 205,000 — the current number of slots it is allowed — to 188,000, the actual number of soldiers it had at the end of 2005.

Army leaders have said they are taking a similar approach to shrinking the National Guard. They are proposing to cut that force from its authorized level of 350,000 soldiers to 333,000, the actual number now on the rolls.

Nothing but fiscal wand waving.
One plan would eliminate funding for an alternative engine for the Joint Strike Fighter, the military's next-generation combat plane.

The second would cut money for F-22 fighters during 2007. But it is actually a contract restructuring that would add that money back — and more — over the long run by stretching out the program for an additional two years and buying up to four more planes. The new plan calls for buying 60 aircraft through 2010, rather than 56 in the next two years.

Perhaps.

It's all numerical mumbo-jumbo. Ask any accountant. They can make anyone look broke.

It's just another example of something else that pisses me off about government....
to see a seemingly good pres. bending to political pressure. :confused:

Of coarse it goes the other way too I guess. I don't think the pres. would be doing
anything on the boarders if not for that either. :shrug:

GW does not have a very good track record on the Domestic side. Accounting tricks are as old as accounting. That doesn't make them any better, just not new. On the other side though, why put money where it's not needed?

Well it says in the article that it's part of a boarder plan....
I just wish I knew how the cut will help that...e.g. in what area will those funds
be shifted to.
It's just not very clear, and I don't see why IT should be secret...

Everything in the plan is good.

Trimming the fat.

Besides in a defense budget of half a trillion dollars,
it is mere pennies indeed.

Back