But they won't stop spending

jimpeel

All these governors need to do is to cut some of the programs that have bankrupted their states; but they won't. That would be too unpopular with the "Fill my hand" crowd.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/ele...overnors-asking-government-t-bailout-package/

Democratic Governors Asking Government for $1T Bailout Package
Governors from Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Ohio are seeking funds to deal with unprecedented state budget shortfalls in 41 states and Washington, D.C.

MADISON, Wis. - Five Democratic governors are asking the federal government for a $1 trillion bailout package, including $250 billion for education and $150 billion in middle class tax cuts.

The governors from Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Ohio on Friday said they have presented their plan to President-elect Barack Obama's transition team as well as congressional leaders.

They said that level of federal aid is needed to deal with unprecedented state budget shortfalls in 41 states and Washington, D.C., that the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities pegged at $42 billion for the current fiscal year alone.

Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle said congressional leaders and the Obama team have been receptive to the governors' ideas.

"That's not to say they've told us this is what they'll do or they're with us all the way," Doyle said. He also said other governors were involved in creating the plan, which grew out of an early December meeting that Obama had with the nation's governors.

Obama's aides and congressional leaders have been talking about a package roughly half the size of the two-year plan the five governors proposed Friday.

Over two years, $1 trillion is equal to more than 3 percent of the gross domestic product, the U.S. economy's total output. A package of that size is likely to draw significant opposition from congressional Republicans and concern from moderate and conservative Democratic lawmakers who oppose large budget deficits.

In addition to the money for education and tax cuts, the governors said their plan includes $350 billion for road construction and other infrastructure projects and $250 billion for social service programs such as Medicaid.

The governors all said their states are facing unprecedented budget shortfalls that will require deep cuts to services and possibly irreparably harm their education systems.

"We aren't crying wolf," Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland said. "These are real circumstances, unprecedented situations we are facing."

Ohio's budget deficit could grow to $7.3 billion even after $1.9 billion was cut from its current budget, Strickland said.

New York Gov. David Paterson said his state faces a $15.4 billion deficit. Wisconsin's budget is expected to be $5.4 billion short by mid-2011.

New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine said he had just left a meeting with state legislative leaders where he proposed $2.1 billion in cuts on top of $600 million that's already been cut from the budget.

Strickland said the federal stimulus is needed to help bridge the gap from the current recession to when there's a rebound. Even with the money, states will have to make deep cuts, he said.

"We are not, any of us, talking about federal money to expand spending, expand programs, to do new things," Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said.

A forecast from Global Insight shows that the economy hasn't hit bottom yet.

National economic growth is now expected to drop 1.8 percent this year, rather than increase 1 percent. The U.S. labor market is expected to lose 3.7 million jobs during the downturn, with unemployment reaching 8.7 percent in the first half of 2010, it said.

That forecast assumes there will be a $550 billion federal stimulus package, roughly half of what the governors requested.

Its about the spending, Stupid!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468305,00.html

NY Gov. Paterson Proposes Tax on Drinks, Downloaded Music

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

ALBANY, N.Y. — Gov. David Paterson's first state budget threatens to affect just about every New Yorker. Even those online.

Paterson proposed Tuesday a 2009-10 budget that would increase spending by 1.1 percent, or $1.3 billion, to create a $121.1 billion spending plan.

Much of the growth is revenue from 88 new or higher fees and will hit New Yorkers in many areas, from downloading music to sipping drinks to fishing.

One of the proposed hikes is a so-called "iPod tax," which would tax the sale of downloaded music and other "digitally delivered entertainment services" by 4 percent.

There also would be higher taxes on gas, taxi rides, cable and satellite TV service, cigars, beer, movie and sports tickets, and health spa visits, to name a few items.

Paterson seems to be fighting both obesity and budget deficits with a proposal for an 18 percent tax on soda and other sugary drinks containing less than 70 percent real fruit juice.

"People don't really realize the amount of calories they're ingesting through liquids," said Joe Baker acting deputy secretary for Health and Human Services to the governor. "They say, 'Oh, it's just a drink."'

The idea is to discourage consumption of high-caloric beverages — health officials estimate a 5 percent drop — and to raise $404 million in fiscal year 2009-2010 toward the state's multibillion dollar budget gap. Paterson said the proposal would raise $539 million in 2010-2011.

The American Beverage Association opposes the tax, saying it would most harm the middle class. The group also argued that it doesn't make sense to single out a single food product as the cause for obesity.

"There is no science or logic that justifies it," the association's statement said. "Rather, we need to focus on promoting balanced eating habits and more physical activity. Until we get our kids exercising more the scales will be tipped against our next generation."

According to state officials, almost one in four New Yorkers under age 18 are obese, and at higher risk for dangerous, expensive illnesses like diabetes and heart disease.

Sure Jim, it's the programs that you personally don't like that have caused the budget gaps. Has absolutely nothing to do with current economic conditions, unemployment because of current economic conditions, tax cuts, or infratructure....it's entirely and soley caused by whatever programs you personally don't like. :rolleyes:

Sure Jim, it's the programs that you personally don't like that have caused the budget gaps. Has absolutely nothing to do with current economic conditions, unemployment because of current economic conditions, tax cuts, or infratructure....it's entirely and soley caused by whatever programs you personally don't like. :rolleyes:

You need to understand that it is not programs which I personally don't like. It is programs like recycling in CA which charges .03 out the door on containers and pays .05 coming back in. Talk about a loser. There are many more as well.

In CA, where I am originally from, they are nearly bankrupt. They recalled Gray Davis because he instituted a 3% tax on auto registrations. That is how Arnold got in there. Now, he wants to not only re-institute the tax but also have taxes for owning a dog or cat and state fees for taking them to the vet.

But they won't stop spending.

The problem with feel-good programs is they take money to run. At some point the takers outnumber the providers and the programs start to fall apart under their own weight. That is just how it is.

You need to understand that it is not programs which I personally don't like. It is programs like recycling in CA which charges .03 out the door on containers and pays .05 coming back in. Talk about a loser. There are many more as well.

Mo, Cali's recycling program is about the best in the country. It's cost effective and and ends up with more recycled material than most of the country. It's convenient and very well done.

You personally are against recycling which is just mind boggling. So you try to blame things on the program instead of looking at the real reasons.

They recalled Gray Davis because he instituted a 3% tax on auto registrations. That is how Arnold got in there. Now, he wants to not only re-institute the tax but also have taxes for owning a dog or cat and state fees for taking them to the vet.

Auto registrations weren't even in the top reasons that people wanted to recall Davis and yet you're acting like it was the sole reason. Again this has nothing to do with the budget issues.

The problem with feel-good programs is they take money to run. At some point the takers outnumber the providers and the programs start to fall apart under their own weight. That is just how it is.

No, actually a lot of "feel good" programs are just good programs and make sense. They often do quite well. I imagine though that you will try to find an example of a "feel good" program that had some issue or another and then try to generalize from there but the real idea is that nothing you've typed has much to do with any budget issues.

That is just how it is.

All these governors need to do is to cut some of the programs that have bankrupted their states; but they won't. That would be too unpopular with the "Fill my hand" crowd.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/ele...overnors-asking-government-t-bailout-package/

here's the thing jim, and why we knew Everybody would be looking for money.
Nobody much liked it to start with. They knew you either gotta do it for everybody,
or nobody.
Then, either way the outcome still works toward the same end.

The admin/congress/senate fucked up, and now you'll see the woodwork crawl, until it's reversed.

its one hand washing the other. those states supported obama, now its time for the kickback

second verse same as the first. both sides of the aisle do it. nothing to see here thats ever going to change

Mo, Cali's recycling program is about the best in the country. It's cost effective and and ends up with more recycled material than most of the country. It's convenient and very well done.

You personally are against recycling which is just mind boggling. So you try to blame things on the program instead of looking at the real reasons.

Auto registrations weren't even in the top reasons that people wanted to recall Davis and yet you're acting like it was the sole reason. Again this has nothing to do with the budget issues.

No, actually a lot of "feel good" programs are just good programs and make sense. They often do quite well. I imagine though that you will try to find an example of a "feel good" program that had some issue or another and then try to generalize from there but the real idea is that nothing you've typed has much to do with any budget issues.

That is just how it is.

I'm from CA. Bankrupt Orange County to be exact. I know of that which I speak.

It's alright. The states will cut needed programs, like firefighting & schooling, instead of programs that are not needed...just to scare the public into more taxes, which will, in turn, amount to fewer tax dollars in the gov't pot, since fewer people will have jobs & those who do will earn less.

Folks, we had an opportunity to stop this last Nov. 100% of the House & 33% of the Senate were up for re-election. Damn near 100% of those running for re-election got their job back. We failed. We told them that we like the status quo. We deserve what we get.

Folks, we had an opportunity to stop this last Nov. 100% of the House & 33% of the Senate were up for re-election. Damn near 100% of those running for re-election got their job back. We failed. We told them that we like the status quo. We deserve what we get.

I didn't.
I did what I could, along with some others. WE didn't have the power, with
the way the game is setup.

Really? Fuck me! I've been paying five cents on containers of less than 24 ounces and 10 cents on containers bigger than 24 ounces all this time! Where are the stores that only charge three cents a can? I'll start shopping there, since Vons, Albertson's, Food 4 Less, Save Mart, FoodsCo, Food Maxx, Spencer's Fresh Markets, Ralph's, Stater Bros., Smart & Final, Circle K, 7-Eleven, am/pm, Chevron, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target and every other convenience store I've been to have all charged me five cents a can.

In CA, where I am originally from, they are nearly bankrupt. They recalled Gray Davis because he instituted a 3% tax on auto registrations. That is how Arnold got in there. Now, he wants to not only re-institute the tax but also have taxes for owning a dog or cat and state fees for taking them to the vet.

You should consider reading up on things before spouting off on them and saying something that's not true.

The "car tax" (vehicle license fee) existed before Gray Davis even took office. Under his administration, the state, awash in dot-com tax money, got rid of the VLF, with the stiuplation that if state revenues plunged too much, the fee would come back. Similarly, under Davis, sales tax was cut by a quarter-cent statewide. San Luis Obispo County charges 7.25 percent, the minimum a California county can charge, but during that time, the sales tax in SLO County went down to 7 percent. But, just like the VLF, the sales tax cut went away when revenues dropped.

Schwarzenegger's first move as governor was to roll back that tax.

BTW, it was 2 percent, not 3 percent. Currently it's 0.65 percent.

But they won't stop spending.
True to some extent, but also, a good number of expenditures are mandated by laws that were placed on the books via the ballot initiative. One of the latest and most outrageous ones is the new high-speed rail system. That proposition passed this past November, so the state will sell $10 billion in bonds TO START. It's estimated to cost $40 billion now, and we all know what tends to happen to those estimates. So, in the middle of a credit crunch, a state with a credit rating at junk bond level will be selling $10 billion worth of bonds and paying interest on that.

its one hand washing the other. those states supported obama, now its time for the kickback

second verse same as the first. both sides of the aisle do it. nothing to see here thats ever going to change

nancy pelosi said:
You just made that up in some kind of fantasy and then typed it out as if it was true. Still ragin' huh?

put your right eye in too and see everything written please

richard simmons said:
put your right eye in too and see everything written please

OMG you made up a fanatsy and then typed it out as if it was true and then declared that both sides do it.

Of course that part makes your fantasy into reality and you don't need any evidence to back up your wild claims now. :laugh:

Really? Fuck me! I've been paying five cents on containers of less than 24 ounces and 10 cents on containers bigger than 24 ounces all this time! Where are the stores that only charge three cents a can? I'll start shopping there, since Vons, Albertson's, Food 4 Less, Save Mart, FoodsCo, Food Maxx, Spencer's Fresh Markets, Ralph's, Stater Bros., Smart & Final, Circle K, 7-Eleven, am/pm, Chevron, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target and every other convenience store I've been to have all charged me five cents a can.

You should consider reading up on things before spouting off on them and saying something that's not true.

That was what the tax started out at. I left in '94 and if the tax was raised after that I have no knowledge of that.

The "car tax" (vehicle license fee) existed before Gray Davis even took office. Under his administration, the state, awash in dot-com tax money, got rid of the VLF, with the stiuplation that if state revenues plunged too much, the fee would come back. Similarly, under Davis, sales tax was cut by a quarter-cent statewide. San Luis Obispo County charges 7.25 percent, the minimum a California county can charge, but during that time, the sales tax in SLO County went down to 7 percent. But, just like the VLF, the sales tax cut went away when revenues dropped.

The word "instuituted" was confusing. I apologize. He raised the tax and now Schwartzenegger wants top raise it back again. He also wants to raise revenue by taxing pets, vet visits, etc.

I still listen to KFI Los Angeles every morning.

Schwarzenegger's first move as governor was to roll back that tax.

BTW, it was 2 percent, not 3 percent. Currently it's 0.65 percent.

My error. I thought it was 3%

True to some extent, but also, a good number of expenditures are mandated by laws that were placed on the books via the ballot initiative. One of the latest and most outrageous ones is the new high-speed rail system. That proposition passed this past November, so the state will sell $10 billion in bonds TO START. It's estimated to cost $40 billion now, and we all know what tends to happen to those estimates. So, in the middle of a credit crunch, a state with a credit rating at junk bond level will be selling $10 billion worth of bonds and paying interest on that.

If CA had any sense, they would take their 18% of the United States population; the largest rail yard west of the Mississippi; eight International airports; and three major ports and secede from the union, become their own country, and keep all of the money they currently send to DC.

The problem is that they would soon spend themselves into bankruptcy again and it would all be for nothing. Simply imagine, if you will, what their constitution would look like after the new government was through writing it.

To sum up, you've been wrong about everything, you want California to secede from the union, and you predict bad things will happen if they do.

Brilliant freakin' thread. I'm amazed.

Back