Buying a notebook, need advice...

Jeslek

Banned
OK, so I have this guy trying to sell me this:

Toshiba Satellite Pro Notebook - Intel P3-500,320 MB SDRam (64 MB standard,plus 256 MB in exp. slot),12 GB HD (upgraded from original,faster),8X DVD,1.44 MB Floppy drive,14" TFT Active Matrix LCD Screen (1024X768),S3 Savage 4-64 bit graphics with TV out and Dual Display,Yamaha audio system with speakers,Internal V.90 Modem,Linksys 10/100 network card.PS2,serial,LPT,docking station,USB,and all the other ports. Nice system complete with AC adapter,Toshiba custom carry case,Windows XP Pro,MS Office XP Premium,Photoshop 6.0,Illustrator 9.0,Norton System Works Professional 2002 (includes Norton Anti-virus 2002 Pro),Vegas games,amd more.All freshly installed comlete with CD's.Less than 2 Yr's old.Replacement has arrived so take it away.Call for more info.

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. Cost is C$1,000 (US$630, GBP401 (ok I don't have the pound symbol on my keyboard)). I've talked to him, and from his voice I think he is of good character. So tomorrow when I take a look at it, what should I be looking for? And if it seems to be working just fine and all nice, do you think its a good deal?

Thanks

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
It's quite complete, the RAM is very nice, but still, 630 dollars for a P3 500 is quite expensive. You pay a lot for the brand, that's for sure.

Jeslek

Banned
I should add that I will only be using it for Office stuff, email, and mobility. No development, no games, none of that shit. I am a project manager at the moment right now and not having a notebook is driving me up the wall with making presentations and doing walkthroughs with the people working under me.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
$1000 for a 500 is expensive if I remember correctly from when I was looking into laptops you should be able to get a 500 for about $700-$800

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
sounds like a very good deal.

PD. notebooks are more expensive in here.

equinoxe3d

I'd say it's pretty decent, Toshiba has a very good rep on laptops, the video/sound system looks good and, like Bubba said, original Photoshop and Illustrator CDs kinda justify the price tag.