Calla Lilies

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I have a lovely pot of big beautiful Black Night Calla Lilies.

Question is:

I'm supposed to plant them outside, then dig up the bulbs later and bring them into a cool place for the winter.

Can I just leave them in the pot they're in? They're doing beautifully so far. Or do they really need to go into the ground for some reason for perpetuality?

Leslie said:
I have a lovely pot of big beautiful Black Night Calla Lilies.

Question is:

I'm supposed to plant them outside, then dig up the bulbs later and bring them into a cool place for the winter.

Can I just leave them in the pot they're in? They're doing beautifully so far. Or do they really need to go into the ground for some reason for perpetuality?

How big is your pot? That would be the deciding factor IMO...

Maybe 14 inches tall? and 8 across? something like that.

Even just for this year I'd kinda like to leave them in there if I can.

I've got a couple in the front yard that were there when I moved in.

Will I have to dig up the bulbs too? Winter lows get to about 25-30 F on average here if it's not raining.

It says, "Tender tubers should be lifted before first fall frost and stored in dry peat moss in a cool location.". So...I guess you're ok if there's no frost there?

It has also depth and far apartness requirements listed, so I guess that in itself answers my question about the pot?

Tonks says not to leave more than 3 in a pot that size.

We down here are on the cusp as far as they tolerate northern climates.. so you will surely have to keep them out of the wintering ground. When the leaves die back, hack it all off at ground level and treat it like an amaryllis. We just keep ours all in pots.

Yeah, no frost here. Well, there's the frost that I would have to scrape off the windshield and that turns brown or gray roofs white until the sun's been out for a while, but we don't have frost inches into the ground or anything here. 25 F would be about -4 C for those who don't want to do the conversion math.

-4 is iffy to me.

5 or below is worrisome for plants above ground. I'm really not sure about bulbs.

I do not know the answer to any of your questions but I have two comments.

First Calla Lillies = pretty

Second, I was out in the backyard last Sunday and I noticed some blue berries are forming on my mom's bush. They're still blue but the bulge is forming below where the flowers were :D

My mom ate a blueberry today while she was out mowing the lawn! The first one to ripen! She says it was very good!

YAY!

Back