calling all handymen

BeardofPants

The rubber seal in the toilet cistern has been a PITA for a while now. If the water level gets too low, the cistern will not fill with water, as the rubber seal does not appear to be properly er.... sealed. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And if so, how do I fix the fucking thing? I'm sick of going to the crapper, and having to push down the seal to fill the cistern. :grumpy:

Go to Lowes & spend $69 & buy a new toilet. It's damn near cheaper than buying parts followed by the inevitable numerous return trips to the store for that one thing you will never need again.

[edit]make it $54.

It's prolly just old and hard. Take it off, take it to the hardware store, act helpless and they'll tell you which one to get and how (if needed after of course paying attention to steps while taking it off), and voila, you'll have a new young soft floppy one.

It doesn't always fit though...my mom did that and the new rubber dealy never quite sealed properly on the hole in the bottom of the tank.

Are you using a bleach based slow dissolving tablet or somesuch in the water tank? That stuff slowly eats rubber. Rubber may be given a small rebirth on life by rubbing a cotton ball infused with rubbing alcohol all over it. It may not last long on water immersed rubber like a toilet though. You may be facing parts replacement.

1. A thin film of silicone plumbers grease would prevent you from having Nixy's Mom's problem if you decide to replace the seal. It's easy, BTW.
2. If you decide to follow Gonz's advice (and it's not a bad idea, new commodes are more efficient) don't forget to replace the wax ring. You probably don't have a Lowe's but any DIY center will work.
3. Do you own or rent? If you rent, this is the lanlord's responsibility, isn't it? It would be here.

chcr said:
You probably don't have a Lowe's

Well, that's enough reason to leave the backwards jungle island country of Kiwikand isn't it?

*handonhip :p

Chcr, we own, so it's our responsibility. :mope:
How much of a pain is it to install a new cistern?

Also, while we're talking DIY, the glass sheet in our bath/shower has come off the bath, and needs to be re-fixed to the top of the bath (it's still fixed to the side of the wall) - I bought some waterproof sealant, but now the BF's got me all paranoid that I should have got some superglue or summit. Will sealant suffice to stick it to the bath?
*blonde and clueless :rolleyes:

Home Depot has an All-In-One toilet around here for $69 (doesn't seem to be on the site though). That's what my landlord installed right before I moved in. It seems to be a surprisingly decent quality toilet for the money, although the seat drove me crazy so I replaced it with a better one.

Of course, he also upgraded the wax seal instead of using the included one. Since he did that, he might as well have bought the separate Eljer tank and bowl, which, combined with the $5 seat, would have cost right about the same, possibly a few bucks less than the AIO toilet. Oh well; not my money.

But the best toilet to get is a TOTO FlushMax like Unc has. It's impressive enough that I'm still raving about it five months later. Murder someone and need to flush away the evidence? That's your toilet.

Winky said:
this thread is sad Really Sad
So's YO MOMMA!

snap.gif

I should probably leave it at that because I don't know mow much detail a certain someone wants me to put on the internet.

Back