can i ask about this

staffrodore

motorhomes, (not talking about trailer park houses either for any rednecks out there)

can anyone give me some ins and outs of these things.
like any pitfalls to watch out for when looking to purchase one.

good points, bad points welcome

Well, aside from checking out the engine, like you would on any vehicle, you just need to check out the structure of the thing. Alot of the older ones had a surprising amount of wood, crawl underneath it, look for things sagging where they shouldn't be sagging. Look for major rust, as in holes, in the steel framework. Go inside, hook it up to power, make sure the lights, stove, whatever is electric works. Basically combine a home inspection with a vehicle inspection and you got it.

Pitfalls? Well, unless you use it a bunch, I've often heard they just aren't worth it. Figure out how much you are going to use it, then call up a rental place and find out how much they charge. You might just end up renting one for way less per year, especially when you take into account insurance, storage, and the work involved in keeping it maintained.

PT said:
Pitfalls? Well, unless you use it a bunch, I've often heard they just aren't worth it. Figure out how much you are going to use it, then call up a rental place and find out how much they charge. You might just end up renting one for way less per year, especially when you take into account insurance, storage, and the work involved in keeping it maintained.

Excellent advice.

Man, I go through phases where I want to buy a travel trailer so bad (already have a fine tow vehicle), but this is precisely what keeps me from going through with it. Too much of a pain in the butt to be worth the expense.

The only thing I could add to your list of things to check would be to inspect the roof VERY carefully. RVs are particularly prone to roof leaks.

Whatever you do, don't set it on fire, especially if it's a little older. The fumes are a real ass-kicker. I was coughing for two hours after I took this picture for the Atascadero News:

The biggest problem with most motorhomes I have seen is that they are underpowered. This is why they are often at the head of a line of slow traffic. A behemouth rig like that requires like a big block engine. My folks had one with a 350 Chevy and it was slow and sluggish and it wore out fast. They then moved up to a Ford 460 and that one had some balls. Don't know about the lasting quality because my mom had to sell it when my dad died.

Another pitfallis that in the older ones the Fridge has to be absolutely level to work. Check into that too.

Thank you all, great advice here, thinking it might be a bad idea, might go for a bus now and spend some time turning it into a housebus, least that way I know it'll be done correctly, then it's a matter of packing the dog and lappie up and driving........

Inkara1 said:
Why not get a VW Bus and paint peace signs and flowers on the sides?
slight problem...no potty. an old landlord of mine did bus conversion. he took old tour buses and turned them into custom motor homes. they looked pretty sweet. i wonder if that is more cost effective than a new winnebago or whatever.

staffrodore said:
motorhomes, (not talking about trailer park houses either for any rednecks out there)

I'm a redneck. I don't live in a trailer. Should I consider this racial stereotyping?

Inkara1 said:
It's not a trailer; it's a manufactured home. :D
so...um...aren't all homes manufactured? i mean...the regular ones just don't appear outta thin air...

I agree... but I don't work in the PR department of any double-wide manufacturing companies, so I don't know what their thought process was.

tonksy said:
so...um...aren't all homes manufactured? i mean...the regular ones just don't appear outta thin air...

Yes they do. It just takes a few months... :D

on further reflection...that'd be geographical stereotyping innit?

as in...I live in an igloo and eat seal?

Back