Can someone please explain about domain names...

Aunty Em

Now that I finally have access to my ISP webspace I would like a snapier address - click on my homepage to see what I mean.

How to domain names work?

First off, you have to pay for one. You know, I just renewed ours at work, and I don't remember how much they were. Second, you have to use a host that supports them (usually free webspace does not). You'll usually end up with something like your geocities address. Check with your ISP though, I could be wrong. http://www.buydomains.com/ might check these guys.

i used www.just-the-name.co.uk to pick mine up. 2 years for .co.uk cost me about 15quid or something.

as chcr said, you need find a domain host that will store the site for you and manage the email accounts. i got hosting in the us for $30 a year but it can cost a lot more depending on how much space you want and how much you think the site will be hit.

hahahaha, probably the too-many-bloody-frames thing, or perhaps your ie doesn't like websites that haven't been updated since christmas ;)

atl are ok, renewed my hosting without hassle which was great because i forgot :D

ris said:
hahahaha, probably the too-many-bloody-frames thing, or perhaps your ie doesn't like websites that haven't been updated since christmas ;)

atl are ok, renewed my hosting without hassle which was great because i forgot :D

My oldest site was created with them back in Sept 2001. That was before they were ATL (can't remember the original name...will have to look it up on the bank records). I really like them, very personalized responses and one-on-one tech support/server questions. :wink2:

Dunno what causes it to crash....I remember looking at it before without problems. :confuse3: Might have a botched Windows install here. ;)

they were dellz before i think, had no probs with them at all, can't believe it was a year ago i did all that messing around with the site. shit! that means it was nearly a year ago i got my masters :eek:

yeah, to think that this time alst year i was drawing and making models and thinking of working in scandinavia. a year on i live 45 miles away and took 6 months to get a job in the uk.
at least it hasn't been too dull :D

I've been investigating and found what I need, a UK domain registration site with web-forwarding for £1/month - no ads. When I've built my site I'll register. :)

with those sort of rates check for bandwidth surcharging - if you exceed a certain number of hits per month it start costing you some.

Me thinks Aunties looking for a new career. Reminds me of myself when i was just a weeeeeyoung'en play'in on 386 & 8086's.:D :D

Back