Canada tells Hamas "Bite me"

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Canada announced it was suspending aid to the Palestinian Authority.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said in a statement that Canada had no choice but to suspend assistance to the PA and decline contact with the new Hamas cabinet. "The stated platform of [the Hamas] government has not addressed the concerns raised by Canada and others concerning nonviolence, the recognition of Israel, and acceptance of previous agreements and obligations, including the road map for peace," MacKay said.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1143498765898&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Canada has ended any contacts with the members of the Hamas cabinet and is suspending assistance to the Palestinian Authority, Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said.

"Not a red cent to Hamas," MacKay said on CBC's Inside Politics. "This is a terrorist organization."

Hamas members were sworn in as the Palestinian cabinet on Wednesday. The militant group has refused to recognize Israel, renounce violence and agree to follow existing plans to bring peace to the region, as Canada and other countries have demanded.

"They have to change," MacKay said.

The Canadian International Development Agency gives an average of $25 million a year to help Palestinians and their government. But much of that flows through aid agencies and the UN, so Ottawa is actually cutting just $7.3 million.

That money includes:
  • $6.3 million between 2005 and 2008 for housing rehabilitation and policy development.
  • $400,000 to study helping Ramallah to refurbish and manage its industrial park.
  • $600,000 so the Palestinian justice minister can meet justice ministers from Israel, Jordan and Egypt.
MacKay said Ottawa does not want to hurt individual Palestinians, so it's looking at redirecting the money to directly help people "and hopefully in the same amount."

MacKay and International Co-operation Minister Josée Verner announced the change just after the Hamas cabinet was formally sworn in on Wednesday.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/29/ottawa-hamas060329.html

So now it's gonna be you guys fault if all hell breaks loose over there....geesh, and we just rescued some of you guys.

Listen, if they attack your ass, we're not gonna help. We're still trying to recover from Bryan Adams and Celin Dion.

alex said:
Listen, if they attack your ass, we're not gonna help. We're still trying to recover from Bryan Adams and Celin Dion.
Don't we get any credit for Shania?

someone should tell you sumthin' too

Now in this case I wish the U.S. would follow Canada's lead!

Congratulations & kudos to Canada for acting in the best interest of the world.

I don't. Not Federally. I'm still askeered of them. This isn't helping. This act specifically isn't bad, I like that they're continuing with the humanitarian part, but it's a little scary that they've gone ahead and done it, unilaterally at this point.

But all in all, he's not bad so far. Their being a minority is helping.

ultimately hamas will deal with the israelis.

and nothin' woulda ever gone nowhere with the previous fuckers still in charge there. corrupt as shit. it's not the best situation. but it's not THAT much worse than before.

and at least now if the palestinians fuck up, they can blame THEMSELVES.

Back