Cancer sucks

BeardofPants

Well, I've known for about a month or so that my opa has cancer, and only months to live. On Monday, I was pulled out of a meeting at work to answer a call from my mother. Opa had apparently been admitted to hospital with complications. I rush from work to visit him in hospital, and this once proud, strong man, is now bedridden and in tremendous pain. They had him doped to the eyeballs, so he was in and out of consciousness, and my oma was just beside herself with grief. Yesterday (tuesday), I'm back at work, when I got another call from my mother. He had had further complications, and they only gave him 2 days to live. I spent all day yesterday (valentines day) in hospital with oma and the rest of my family on Death Watch. I'm home today, as he has stabilised, but I'm on-call just in case. :(

Wow! I know exactly what you're going through BoP. I went through the same thing a few years ago with mine. If you need to talk, I'm willing to listen. I will keep your opa in my prayers. :sadhug:

Hqving been diagnosed with cancer m'self, I fully empathize with what you're going through.

It does suck.

Holler if you need to. I'll do what I can.

I'm sorry BoP, I wish for the end to his pain, and that yours is eased also. How telling that everyone here has dealt with a loved one (or themselves) with cancer. It's a horrible thing, to be sure. But you do have us a sounding board if you need us. :sadhug:

I don't usually discuss stuff like this (just not the way I am). My mom died of lung cancer a little over a year ago. Dara's mom (and dad) are living with us now. Her mom has stomach cancer and probably won't make it until summer. I hope your Opa's pain is eased soon. I'm pretty philosophical about death myself, but that doesn't make it any less painful to lose someone you love.

Yeah Me Mah went that way.
Lung cancer that spread all over.
I remember huggin' her that one last time,
before it got so bad they upped the meds
kept her under til she passed...

As for goin' that way I'm sure it sucks
but we all gotta leave sometime.

But if I had the choice Bon Jovi sed it best

"Shot down in a blaze of glory
Take me now but know the truth
'Cause I'm going down in a blaze of glory"

Having lost my father and aunt under similar circumstances, I know how you feel.

All I can say is that I'm sorry.

Thanks again, guys. Yesterday, it looked like he was stabilising, but now it's a wait-and-see game as he now has fluid on the lungs. I'll be going back in to visit, and hopefully catch up with the doctor to see what that means.

BeardofPants said:
Thanks again, guys. Yesterday, it looked like he was stabilising, but now it's a wait-and-see game as he now has fluid on the lungs. I'll be going back in to visit, and hopefully catch up with the doctor to see what that means.

Basicly, water on the lungs is not a good sign. They can drain the water but if it keeps coming back, there is nothing more they can do.

Well, they've taken him off the antibiotics, and they ain't draining him, so yeah, nothing more they can do. He's not going to live out the week, according to the doctors.

Thanks again for all the support. It helps.

Back