Car question

HomeLAN

My bro just sent me this. Any help?

Howdy.
I'm sending this out to everyone I know who is a gearhead or hangs out with gearheads.
I recently purchased a Honda engine and transaxle with the computer. I'm told it came out of a Honda CRX but I don't know what year. It's a small four banger, 16 valve, with what looks like a computer controlled carb. I'm guessing late 80's or early 90's.
There's a boss on the block, front of engine next to the clutch housing, that reads: D15B2
If anyone can give me an idea of what size and year this engine is, let me know. Or let me know where I can find this info, if possible.
Also, I will be looking for some parts If you know someone who's parting one out. Some things I may be in the market for are: axle shafts, alternator, wiring harness, air filter assembly, shifter assembly with cable, throttle cable, motor mounts. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I'm planning on stuffing it into the back of a railbuggy. If it works out well, I plan on building more as there seems to be alot of these type engines available for cheap - with everyone hotrodding their little Hondas with Acura engines.

Thanks,

Professur

Well, I can clear up one thing. That computer carb is a throttle body injector. And if he doesn't know that, .... He'd better put a fast halt on production of that buggy.

JJR512

It's a 1.5 liter engine, there's one of the questions.

D15B2 is the engine code, that's what should be looked for online. The engine code itself probably won't tell you the year, unless that engine was only used in one year, which isn't likely. The remaining numbers may be a sort of serial, that may help you determine the year, but possibly only Honda or a Honda expert can help. A visit or call to a service manager at a Honda dealership may be fruitful.

HomeLAN

Well, my own digging leads me to believe that:

D = 4 cylinder
15 = 1.5 l (actuqally 1493 CC)
B2 = second generation.

That engine code is listed as a pull form a 1988-1991 CRX on a couple street-racer sites I found. However, that's pretty shaky.

JJR512

It was used in 1988-1991 Civic CRX.

Edit: Oh, I see you've found that already.

The "15" in the code is the size, yes, but I don't believe the other parts are interpreted the way you've supposed. Other of their 4-cylinder engines have started with other letters, not all of them are D.

JJR512

The first letter refers to engine family, the two numbers its size, the final two characters are the generation.

HomeLAN

Yep, B and D, for example, are both 4 banger families. C, though, would be a 6 banger. Every time.

JJR512

HomeLAN said:
That engine code is listed as a pull form a 1988-1991 CRX on a couple street-racer sites I found. However, that's pretty shaky.
Everything I'm seeing indicates this information as correct, although I've seen a few sites say it's only 89-91, not 88-91. Having worked in an auto parts store with several people who were into hot rodding Hondas, including two who owned CRXs, this sounds right to me.

Your brother is correct that there should be a continued good supply of this engine. Most people who own a CRX now are into hot rodding it, and this 1.5 liter engine goes out quickly, to be replaced by the later 1.6 engine (B16A2 in particular, if I recall), or the 1.8 variants from Acura, as your brother mentioned.

unclehobart

If he knows where the donor car shell is, he can get the vin number... which tells you just about everything you want to know... year, factory, subspecs, original color...

unclehobart

D15B2
Displacement (cc): 1493
Power (bhp@rpm): 92@6000
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 89@4500
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Bore (mm): 0
Stroke (mm): 0
Cam Design: sohc
VTEC?: no
OBD: 0
Year(s) Produced: 1988-1991
In the following car(s): Honda Civic DX/LX, CRX DX

Inkara1

Did they ever find out if it's a throttle body or carb? Honda stuck with the carb a lot longer than all the other manufacturers, so a late-80s engine might well have had one, especially since it wasn't a California car.

HomeLAN

Throttle body.

Hey man
Thanks for the info - it's exactly what I was looking for.
And you're right about the "carb". It's throttle body injection with two injectors. Initial inspection of the wiring led me to believe otherwise.
The engine also came with another exhaust manifold - it's a split manifold with a collector.
Maybe someday we'll have more than one buggy to ride around in up here.
See ya

Professur

Is that the engine where the combustion actually starts in a side chamber off the main cylinder? I've heard that you can up the HP by spraying water into those (ups the compression, cools the chamber). In fact, if someone with some free time was to search about, those were a topic of hot discussion somewhere. Either here, Xi, or JJRs. Haven't the time to go looking myself.

HomeLAN

Duuno, and I don't think he cares. He just wants to power a simple 2 seat rail buggy with it, and it has PLENTY of juice to do that stock.

He and I have talked about building one of those as a six seater and powering it with a GM 3800 V-6 turbo, but neither of us has the time or money to make it happen.