Cedar Rapids 2008

What a mess. Been thru there many times & the thought of the river getting that high is astounding.

When do we start bashing GWB & FEMA?

What a mess. Been thru there many times & the thought of the river getting that high is astounding.

When do we start bashing GWB & FEMA?
I'm sure GWB was out there doing a rain dance so it is obviously his fault.

By the way ... who wants to bet that the first fully functional emergency relief will be a convoy of Wal-Mart trucks? Any bets on which stores will be the first back on line?

They is. They's. :)

I watched some bit on the news this morning about there being thousands of frustrated residents not allowed to return to their homes to work on salvage and cleanup efforts. Of course there are safety issues but it sure would suck not being able to help things.

They is. They's. :)

I watched some bit on the news this morning about there being thousands of frustrated residents not allowed to return to their homes to work on salvage and cleanup efforts. Of course there are safety issues but it sure would suck not being able to help things.

Yeah. I understand the cops point of view but I'm afraid if I was in their situation I would certainly be one of the hot-heads. I've heard of patience but I don't really understand the concept, y'know? :eyemouth:

Why isn't the government doing more to save the people in Iowa?

They can only suffer so much, ya know.

I'm sure the looting and shooting at rescue personnel will start at any moment.

Last I heard the death toll was 5. What isn't the government doing Cerise?

iowa is so much more civilised than them other places where there's been looting, i think is what she's trying to say. you know, LA, new orleans...

nice midwesterners don't go on looting sprees.

iowa is so much more civilised than them other places where there's been looting, i think is what she's trying to say. you know, LA, new orleans...

nice midwesterners don't go on looting sprees.

Ahh. Well, that's largely correct.

That is one ugly scene. Of course, most folks don't realize that the Mississippi river has changed its course in the past, and the only reason it hasn't been doing so lately is because of manmade obstructions, right?

Yes I do. I'm not so sure a lot of folks do though.

Yeah. I understand the cops point of view but I'm afraid if I was in their situation I would certainly be one of the hot-heads. I've heard of patience but I don't really understand the concept, y'know? :eyemouth:

There was a photo yesterday on Drudge which showed a pickup truck with a cop standing in front of it with his firearm trained on the driver and another with his hand raised to smash the passenger side window. People are frustrated that they cannot get to their homes. If the authorities have, as ruled by the SCotUS, no duty to protect any person or prevent any crime then how do they come to believe that they have a duty to protect us from ourselves?

The police think they are the authority but they have no right to stop you from making rational decisions that do not affect others. If you want to stay with your home during a hurricane, you have that right. However, if there is an emergency & an area has been declared a disaster or emergency area, they do have authority to keep the area closed.

The police think they are the authority but they have no right to stop you from making rational decisions that do not affect others. If you want to stay with your home during a hurricane, you have that right.

That "right" is changing. Some states are now passing laws that you are in violation of the law and prosecutable if you do not evacuate when told to do so. You can be arrested and removed forcibly. The new term is "mandatory evacuation".

Back