Cell phones

Stop Laughing

I'm looking into getting my mother a cell phone for Christmas. She's not exactly tech savvy (she plugged a USB printer into an ethernet port once :D) so I'd like an easy one to use, and I don't think she'd use anything extra such as a camera on it (I already have a digital camera if pictures are needed). She doesn't travel that far (outside of a few trips to Bloomington or Champaign, we leave the Chicago area once a year, if that), but the biggest help it'd be would be when we work on our road rallyes, it'd be easier for us to communicate since she's the only one in the group who doesn't have one. Can anyone give me any good offers or suggestions?

Also, do NOT E-mail me anything about this if you want to tell me something privately since she could see it there, PM me instead if necessary.

go for one of the nokia 8200 series, a bit old by now but nevertheless a good cell phone.

i'd second luis' suggestion, the 8200 or 8210 nokia, while not cutting edge technology, are solid and known to last. they are quite small though so if she'd like something a little larger with more space around the buttons then the incredibly popular 3310 or 3330 might be worth looking at.
my dad had a 6210 which is that bit bigger again [because he found texting with a smaller phone too difficult] and now uses a 3510 which has a colour screen, nice chunky buttons, etc but nothing superfluous like cameras.

Nowadays every cell phone comes with a 48-bit color camera, 4 GPS satellite receivers, 2000 memory locations for phone book entries, 300 entries for voice-activated dialing, 40 buttons just on the front of the phone, 65536 colors on their display screen and 256 colors on the sub-display. It's pretty impossible to get JUST a cell phone now. But fortunately, most of them can be set so that you just talk by opening the phone when someone calls, or by holding in a number on the phone to dial them.

Also keep in mind that a tri-mode phone works anywhere where the digital only phones are limited. Asking for tri-mode cuts your options down considerably, usually to "easier" phones. With all teh traveling I do, there are still lots of places that aren't digital.

Back