Chevy HHR

Professur

ext_gallery04.jpg

What the hell were they thinking? As if having the PT cruiser didn't ugly up the roads enough.

I used to have a '53 Chevy panel truck with a late model running gear. It was a lot better looking than this POS.

What's worse is they made the same mistake Chrysler did, putting an underpowered 4 banger in it.

Professur said:
What's worse is they made the same mistake Chrysler did, putting an underpowered 4 banger in it.
To be fair, it probably makes as much if not more horsepower than the original 216 in-line six.

That would probably be about 35-40 more horses than the 216 six, with a much more modern transmission that doesn't sap the power so much.

I don't remember if it was Motor Trend or Car and Driver that pitted the HHR in a comparison test against the PT Cruiser, but whoever it was ranked the HHR ahead of the PT Cruiser. Of course, considering that the PT is entering its fifth year on a platform that really dates back to 1994, while the HHR is all-new on a platform that debuted in 2003... if the PT had still won it would have been almost as dark a day for GM as releasing the Pontiac Aztek... which, BTW, is basically Prof's Trans Sport with an uglier skin.

Both Motor Trend and Car and Driver and well known for their bias to anything new. Anytime they test any new model against an older platform, they always, always laud the new one. Even when their own test results (usually shown in a table on the next page) shows that the older model is it's equal.

And GM did one thing right. The Aztec and Rendevous and both butt ugly attempts at adding yet another pseudo-SUV to the ranch. But they're build on the Transport/Montana chassis. And that's as good as it gets in the minivan category. Tight steering, and good response. And let's face it. Most of the SUV market today is little more than butched up minivans to begin with. Even the newer pickups are showing minivan heritage these days.

But the HRR would have profited handsomely from the Colorado's 5 cylinder plant. If only to give it something on paper over the PT. The 4 simply looks like GM's following johnny-come-lately in Chryslers footsteps again.

Both Motor Trend and Car and Driver and well known for their bias to anything new.
Both Motor Trend and Car and Driver are well known for giving the best reviews to those that pay the most.

Oh, and the Pontiac Aztek relegates the Edsel to the second ugliest car ever built.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Dost thou ignore the Corvair??

A Corvair is not ugly in context. The later models were quite acceptable looking. 'Sides, Corvairs get a pass because they are the lie upon which the idiot Nader based his career.

Inkara1 said:
Where does the Honda Element rank?

Being a container rather than vehicle, it doesn't qualify for ranking.

Speaking of Corvairs, my bro might be looking to sell a 1961 Corvair rampside pickup, light to moderate patches of body rust, runs fine.

Price check, aisle 5, anybody?

Gato_Solo said:
Psst...you forgot the Scion xB. I've seen two, and it got uglier each time I saw it. *puke*
Another container. Actually, that's where I got the analogy. The first time I saw one I said to myself, "Is that the box they ship Minis in?"

Back