Chrysler, sans Daimler

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Perhaps.

NEW YORK (AP) — Billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian's Tracinda on Thursday made a $4.5 billion cash offer for DaimlerChrysler's (DCX) troubled U.S.-based Chrysler unit.
Tracinda in a statement said it wants "to build and strengthen" the troubled automaker and "will offer the UAW and Chrysler management the opportunity to participate as equity partners in the transaction."

DaimlerChrysler acknowledged for the first time on Wednesday it was talking with prospective buyers about the Chrysler unit, but would not commit itself to selling the U.S. business.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I don't get why Chrysler is having problems. They have the only interesting looking vehicles on the road.

I've not heard, either way. The few folks I know with one are happy. :shrug:

Must be a local thing then, over here chryslers work like a charm for the first year or so, then the story begins to change.

$4.5 billion cash?

*imagines one hellavu big pillow case ...*

imagine- just how big would that be do ya think?

Grand Voyagers are nice - but i heard problematic.

i'm sure the krauts have run it down and pigged it out on cash... and used it as a cover for their own incompetence and inability to admit mistakes.

Good ridance, I hope they have learnt from the germans how to make cars.

US private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management is to buy a majority stake in car firm DaimlerChrysler's ailing US Chrysler arm.

The German-US firm will pay 5.5bn euros ($7.41bn; £3.7bn) to buy 80.1% - much less than the $36bn paid for Chrysler's 1998 merger with Daimler-Benz.

DaimlerChrysler shares closed up 1.8% on the German market.

The car maker will keep a 19.9% stake in Chrysler, which will foot pension and healthcare costs.

Full story

Good ridance, I hope they have learnt from the germans how to make cars.

Nice try, but I own an Audi. The engines are bulletproof, but the electronics are expensive to fix or replace. I'm contemplating a trip over there just to do a parts run.

Nice try, but I own an Audi. The engines are bulletproof, but the electronics are expensive to fix or replace. I'm contemplating a trip over there just to do a parts run.

Are you trying to imply that because the electronics are expensive the germans don't know how to build cars? ;)

If you have a puzzle and all the pieces don't fit, what would you say? :shrug:

That the puzzle is defective. However I fail to see how that relates to Audis in particular. Sure they are expensive, but they are good cars, nonetheless.

That the puzzle is defective. However I fail to see how that relates to Audis in particular. Sure they are expensive, but they are good cars, nonetheless.

Expensive to fix is what I was driving at. Sure, its a nice car when its running, but when its broke, its hard broke...

Expensive to fix is what I was driving at. Sure, its a nice car when its running, but when its broke, its hard broke...

You have a point there, but then again, Audis aren't cheap either. And if you consider that it is an imported car, you should also know that parts are going to be more expensive than a those of a national car.

You have a point there, but then again, Audis aren't cheap either. And if you consider that it is an imported car, you should also know that parts are going to be more expensive than a those of a national car.

For a newer car, I'd agree, but the salvage yards should have more than they do on a car as old as mine, and at a cheaper price. New parts are no bargain for new US models, either... ;)

Back