Class A pro ball

HomeLAN

Is a blast to watch. We took the kids to see the Rome Braves yesterday. Since they're 4 and it was 90 degrees, we had to bail at the end of the third, but it was a nice little ballpark, with bunches of kid activities. I was sitting right behind the plate, about where visiting dignitaries would sit at Turner Field, for 10 bucks. Really cool. You can get blanket space in the outfield for about $2.

It's about an hour from my house, and we parked 50 feet from the gates. We may want to think about this for the BBQ. They're in town that weekend, Fri Sat Sun.

We have the Greeneville Astros here. I'm with you...four bucks to sit behind home plate and enjoy a day at the ballpark is a steal in my book. Who cares who wins? Just the entertainment level of hearing some local hick PA announcer trying to say the names of the Dominican shortstops alone is worth the price of admission!

Some of the crowd giveaway games they do there are a hoot as well. Shoot, I actually appeared on their small diamondvision screen out in center. Try pulling that one off at Turner.

You know, I'm still trying to get over the irony of John Rocker going to an independent team in New York to resurrect his career.

I wonder if that's the same league as the Schaumburg Flyers here, we got the "Legendary Leon" from the Bud commercials. Man, now I got some looking up to do...

Different league. Those guys are in the independent Northern League, while the Rome Braves are the single A club for Atlanta, and the Charleston Riverdogs (their competition in the game I saw) are the single A club for the (fucking) Yankees.

there is an Independent League team, the Brockton Rox, in this area. Bill Murry is a partial owner and former Red Sox pitcher Oil Can Boyd is pitching for the team.

According to their schedule, they'd be playing the Dodgers' class A team (Columbus I think) the days we're there, who are in dead last in the league. Also, I was right about "Leon", Nigel Thatch is his real name, he's a rookie pitcher for the Schaumburg Flyers (independent, not a minor league team) just a few miles west of here.

nigel.jpg

Back