close game

BAH I don't believe in the not scoring thing. If the other teams sucks THAT MUCH then tough shit for them. The winning team pulled all their starters and they let the clock run...if the losing team is so bad they can't hold their own against the other teams 2nd string then that's their problem. Maybe this will motivate them to be better.

People have said the same about the Ottawa Sens this season...they beat my leafs like 8-0 or something crazy and I hated that but if the Sens are good enough to score that much then good for them.

There's a big difference between pros and high schools, though. In high school and youth athletics, that's something you need to think about. Psyches are a lot more easily damaged there and there's more to the game than wins and losses at that level. That's also why coaches don't always get fired after a losing season at those levels. But in professional sports, they're all adults and they're all getting paid to play the game.

Inkara1 said:
There's a big difference between pros and high schools, though. In high school and youth athletics, that's something you need to think about. Psyches are a lot more easily damaged there and there's more to the game than wins and losses at that level. That's also why coaches don't always get fired after a losing season at those levels. But in professional sports, they're all adults and they're all getting paid to play the game.

So you want to teach kids that if someone is better than them the other person should back down so they can be more equal? Yeah, let's prepare them for an alternate reality which DOESN'T EXIST!

As for the pro thing...people were kicking up a fuss over it...so I was just expressing how I think THAT is also BS.

Nixy said:
So you want to teach kids that if someone is better than them the other person should back down so they can be more equal?

Oh hell no. But there is a point where it becomes rude. However, in this case, it would have been better to forefeit.

Gonz said:
Oh hell no. But there is a point where it becomes rude. However, in this case, it would have been better to forefeit.

Well, they did pull their starters...and they did just let the clock run except for whatever the one thing they stopped them for was...foul shots? I mean...they did make an EFFORT...but PURPOSELY NOT scoring I think is just silly. And, yeah, the losing team prolly should have forfeit, it was their coach's choice to let them suffer through.

It wasn't as if the winning Coach kept his best players in to humiliate the other team,he let all his players play and they ALL scored,which points to the other team being simply poor Players.Maybe the losing team had a bunch of its best players sick or whatever ,but you can't blame the winning Coach if the other team/Coach was that bad.IMO it would be more humiliating if the leading team pulled half its players and walked up and down the court instead of running and still won.

Nixy said:
So you want to teach kids that if someone is better than them the other person should back down so they can be more equal? Yeah, let's prepare them for an alternate reality which DOESN'T EXIST!.
It's called "mercy." Some sports even have a "mercy rule" in which the game is called after a certain margin is reached (say, 10 runs in baseball/softball).

Inkara1 said:
It's called "mercy." Some sports even have a "mercy rule" in which the game is called after a certain margin is reached (say, 10 runs in baseball/softball).

In Basketball the mercy rule can mean "keeps the clock running" as Nixy has already said.
Nixy said:
and they did just let the clock run except for whatever the one thing they stopped them for was.

Back