COBOL, PHP and a DBMS

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The situation is:

There's a program implemented in COBOL, that writes data to their files.

I need to implement a webpage in PHP or ASP that presents some statistics based on the "cobol files".

Is there a way to convert such files to something readable by a DBMS?, Something like a SQL file or a plain text database.

Also, if any of you guys have a link or any info about the "cobol file format", let me know.

Thanks in advance.

/me tries thinking *really* hard...

i'm trying to rememebr back in time, many years ago... to an ODBC driver that did Good Things like that...

The file format might be called "CISAM" dor "DISAM" or something like that...

i think the company who sold the odbc driver was called easysoft... it was easy to use once it was installed...

there's probably different file formats depending on which vendor's cobol implementation produced it.

i just tried a quick googling: http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?page=8&s=ALLFILES

COBOL

* Arris shivers

They want a PHP front end for COBOL files. Do they want the Moon on a stick as well???

I know.......i thought of that as well. I even suggested them to migrate their old files to a newer system using sybase or Oracle. They didn't like the idea.

*sighs*
people :disgust2:

Nice, i just finished the program to convert from their cobol database to an SQL file, ready to be imported by any DBMS. :headbang:

Plain C (yes, only C not C++), a bunch of fread, fwrite, strcat and strncat stuff.

IBM wakes up to hidden AS/400 treasure trove

Silverlake tale: A happy end?

By INQUIRER staff: Saturday 30 July 2005, 20:09

BIG BLUE has realised that a product that long disappeared from its catalogue is a rave from the grave that still has life in it yet.
We reported here that International Business Machines had a wave of emails from people complaining about lack of support for CGIDEV2, which allowed programmers to write apps for the net using COBOL and RPG as a CGI language.

You would probably be surprised to learn just how many AS/400s are still about, and how many COBOL programmers for that matter.

But after that story and the email bombardment, IBM realised that what its advocates describe as the "most popular open source product" still has life in it yet.

One end user told the INQ that IBM Client Technology Center (CTC) in Rochester has now promised to distribute the product on their web site and provide some degree of support and maintenance for the product.

He said it had "flown under the IBM radar" while users and business partners had been pressing on producing and deploying apps using the Big Blue boon.

We believe IBM will have something important to say about this opportunity early in the coming week. While some people describe August as the "silly season" and the "dog days", it looks like IBM has realised that there's gold in them thar AS/400 hills. µ

Source

Back