Counterfeit ring caught in South Shore Montreal

Professur

Apparently a shop on Montee St-Hubert, not far from my home, was the source of a large volume of counterfeit money. I'm still searching for any press, but I'm coming up empty. Seems they were incredibly good quality, and their bills have been found across the country. Pay attention to your change folks, this holiday season.

highwayman

Wonder what they used for paper? Most countries use such a specialized paper that you would need direct acess to the mill, then it would need a miracle to walk away with enoungh of it to do any serious printing...

MrBishop

Do it with a small enough denomination, wash the paper and let dry before printing and your bills look old...people just don't look over their bills. If they'd gone for $5 and $10 bills...they might never have been noticed. The $20 is the classic Insta-bank denomination, and sometimes looks/feels fake when it first comes out of the machine..too crisp. :p

highwayman

Not too long ago had Canada started imprinting the laser patern on larger bills like those on credit cards? Like on the 20s and above?

MrBishop

Not too long ago had Canada started imprinting the laser patern on larger bills like those on credit cards? Like on the 20s and above?

Yup...but that's fakeable if you don't look close enough. Just one more plate to make with a metallic Pantone (tm) ink and you're good to go... kinda like adding a plate for the 'imbedded fibers'

MrBishop

So..I know far too much about printing, what can I say..it's half my job deciding which paper types and inks to use, plus coatings etc... :p

highwayman

OK Bish, one more item that just hit me, down here they have pens that the ink reacts to the ink in the bills, the pen ink turns black if counterfeit and is brown if the bill is real...Does Canada have something like that?

MrBishop

Ink...I don't think so, but there are UV filters in most stores that show off the normally invisible ink. Great if you're a store...not so hot if you're just an individual getting change from a store or another person, eh

*Edit: I suppose that if you really want to get fancy with the counterfeiting, you can add a brown line to your bills so they look like they've already been checked ;)