Critics and criticism...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Critics and rebuttal...There are those who believe that this is a huge number, but, out of approximately 4700 retired generals, only six speaking out is an extremely small number. The one question I have is, who's asking the questions?

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
Where did these generals stand in 2001, 2002, 2003, etc?

Some were in the Pentagon, some were in the field, and some came to Iraq. There are rules about criticizing the administration before you retire, though, so the question is moot.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Moot or not, it would help to see their ideologies & standing before evaluating where they are now. We'll never know & the NY Times,et al, will have a field day because of it.

Winky

Well, I was there and I saw what you did,
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off the grin
I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies

Gato_Solo

2minkey said:
does ideology matter when the basic issue seems to be incompetence?

If the critical few were competent, they'd have had more rank when they were retired. ;) Once again...how many have criticized, out of how many who are retired? (6 out of 4,700, for those who want to do the math) I can find 6 people who think dog crap makes an excellent dessert, but would you eat it?

unclehobart

Gato,
Do the Articles in the UCMJ relating to not dissing your superiors follow you into your retired private life? Could it scrag their pensions and whatnot?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They should have retired 3 years ago if they were so upset. They're looking for political favor. Nothing more.

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah. or maybe they can now speak freely so they're doing so?

maybe there's a post for you in the politburo... they don't like dissent there either.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They could have spoken freely 3 years ago, right after they retired before gaining political friends.

2minkey

bootlicker
sure, three years ago before the overall lack of a real strategy and real evidence of half-assed planning became obvious.

nah, then it would have been dismissed as naysayer speculation.

duh...

Gato_Solo

2minkey said:
yeah. or maybe they can now speak freely so they're doing so?

maybe there's a post for you in the politburo... they don't like dissent there either.

Nice try, 2minkey, but the question remains...why only 6 out of around 4700?

2minkey said:
sure, three years ago before the overall lack of a real strategy and real evidence of half-assed planning became obvious.

nah, then it would have been dismissed as naysayer speculation.

duh...

Usually, when a country goes to war, the exit strategy is in the final stages of planning...unless the war is unexpected. Then the exit strategy is started when the war starts. Considering this war was over within 3 weeks, how much of a plan do you think they had? The war went quite well...too well...but the exit is planned. Just not to your liking. You want detailed information, and spelled out goals, but that's not how it works. Bottom line is, we leave when we think the job is done, and not before.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As soon as we leave Germany & Japan is a good time to begin discussing exit strategies for Iraq & Afghanistan.

2minkey

bootlicker
Gato_Solo said:
Usually, when a country goes to war, the exit strategy is in the final stages of planning...unless the war is unexpected. Then the exit strategy is started when the war starts. Considering this war was over within 3 weeks, how much of a plan do you think they had? The war went quite well...too well...but the exit is planned. Just not to your liking. You want detailed information, and spelled out goals, but that's not how it works. Bottom line is, we leave when we think the job is done, and not before.

Hmmmm.... I really didn't notice that the war had ended after three weeks. Seems more like three years to me. Funny thing is, the administration was naive enough to think they could get in and out quickly. Anybody with a smidgen of knowledge of the area and its people woulda said "bullshit" at that one. Piss poor and uninformed planning is absolutely the case.

Gato_Solo

2minkey said:
Hmmmm.... I really didn't notice that the war had ended after three weeks. Seems more like three years to me. Funny thing is, the administration was naive enough to think they could get in and out quickly. Anybody with a smidgen of knowledge of the area and its people woulda said "bullshit" at that one. Piss poor and uninformed planning is absolutely the case.

So...how long did the Iraqi army fight? When they folded, the war, by the standard definition, was over. What we have now, is a bunch of holligans, most not even from Iraq, coming in and stirring up shit. The US has already stated how, and when, we leave Iraq. If the terrorists really wanted us to leave, they'd let us complete the rebuilding of the infrastructure and stabilization process, but they don't do that, do they? Anybody with a smidgen of knowledge of our openly stated purposes would say your whole post was bullshit. When you have a plan, let us know, until then, you are filed under the same catagories as the other folks who have no idea what they talk about, except to denigrate the people who are doing the real work.