Cross about crosses

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us

A group of Utah atheists is says it is suing to block the state from erecting crosses in honor of highway patrol officers who have died in the line of duty, reports ABC 4.

The atheists, backed by a group in Texas, want the state to put up non-denominational symbols instead of crosses.

"I feel the same way a Jew might feel if you put a state symbol on a swastika," said one of the petitioners, Richard Andrews.

**end**

Translation: I don't therefore I'll make sure you can't.

[SnP surveys the Roost, declares it suitably large, orders tin for the roof]

Seems to me that if it's not their graves, they can fuck right off. If one of the family members of those lying under those crosses has anything to say, I'll be happy to listen.

I began seeing those after I moved to Indiana, about 10 years ago. Never saw 'em out west. My first question, after determining they were placed there by the state or local gov't was, do they have Star of Davids for Jewish accident victims?

This is government overstepping their authority & boundry. If the family members chose to place this, or another small memoriam at the sight, allow them. Just keep the government out of it.

On a side note...how the hell did athesists get into Utah? Were they smuggled in or what?

Don't know if I'd go for tax dollars going for it. It should be a donation thing.
They are on several roads around here, all be donors. A group tried to get
them removed, but they got run out of town.

That's kinda my feeling on it too. If the crosses are paid for from a fund the officers contribute to, that's fine with me. I don't terribly mind them being paid for from other funds, as they serve as powerful reminders. If it's a private source, then STFU and drive on, it's none of anyone else's business.

We have quite a lot of roadside memorials here in Texas. The state nor the local governments have absolutely anything to do with the placing of these memorials. It is the family and friends of the deceased. There are some folks, probably more than some, that want it stopped saying that it is a driving hazard to other motorists. They say that it distracts folks attention from driving as they are trying to read or look at what has been placed at the site of a deadly accident. I can actually see both sides of this, as some of these memorial placings are rather elaborate and actually quite large and some are quite minimal, but the family/friends just want remembrance of a lost loved one.

Malarky. If they can yap on their damn cell phone while driving, a juggling giraffe shouldn't distract them any more than that does.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Malarky. If they can yap on their damn cell phone while driving, a juggling giraffe shouldn't distract them any more than that does.
Didn't say I agreed with both sides, I said I can see both sides! And, I agree with your statement completely!!!

There's one at the end of my driveway, put up by the family, and it was just some drunk dude who pulled out in front of a semi. If it makes you feel better, do it. It means nothing to me either way and I couldn't care less (I even move the plastic flowers, trim around it then replace them). Now, if the highway patrolman was jewish, would they still put up a cross?

Some of these whining jackasses are giving atheism a bad name. :rofl:

SouthernN'Proud said:
from tonguetied.us

A group of Utah atheists is says it is suing to block the state from erecting crosses in honor of highway patrol officers who have died in the line of duty, reports ABC 4.

The atheists, backed by a group in Texas, want the state to put up non-denominational symbols instead of crosses.
Like what..? People see a cross, I guess they'll know straight away what it's there for. If there's a sign or other symbol, It might take their attention off the road for a moment (longer).
"I feel the same way a Jew might feel if you put a state symbol on a swastika," said one of the petitioners, Richard Andrews.
Uh, ok. Somehow I doubt it. o_O

My first thought was that white crosses symbolise death (as in grave). Nothing like a couple of white crosses on the side of a road with a great number of accidents to encourage people to drive more carefully? (Well, one can always hope..)

Gonz said:
On a side note...how the hell did athesists get into Utah? Were they smuggled in or what?
That was going to be my question. Every town in Utah that has at least two houses has a full-sized LDS church.

Some very important things most have glossed over...

1. The complaintants are backed from a group in Texas.
2. The crosses are in Utah.

WTF are they doing complaining about something in an entirely different state?

I feel the same way a Jew might feel if you put a state symbol on a swastika," said one of the petitioners, Richard Andrews.

oh fuck off!

put up crosses for the christian ones star of davids for jewish ones, etc.

Back