Croup

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Anyone with bigger kiddies...do older children (9ish) generally get this?

I'd thought we were done with it, but the middle guy is home today after barkin like a good thing overnight.

Leslie said:

I'd thought we were done with it, but the middle guy is home today after barkin like a good thing overnight.

Depends...what is croup?

Nevermind...I found it...
croup1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (krp)
n.
A pathological condition of the larynx, especially in infants and children, that is characterized by respiratory difficulty and a hoarse, brassy cough.

Sounds similar to a cold/sore throat...My daughters never had that, so I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

they sound like Harp Seals when they cough. It's freaky but manageable at home.
Just never heard of an older kid with it before :confuse3:

Could be "whooping cough" its common in kids all ages... we've had a break out at the college... (kissing :rolleyes: )

Google it... there's even the sound of the cough on line...

Does he/she have "coughing fits" or is it constant... if its sporadic and violent its probably whooping.

he's not whooping...it's definitely croup.

He's not dying yet...so I guess I'll just assume he's a mutant child who gets diseases out of order and wait till it goes away lol

I had hoof and mouth disease when i was a baby. No shit. That's all the doctors could figure it was. :confused:

HeXp£Øi± said:
I had hoof and mouth disease when i was a baby. No shit. That's all the doctors could figure it was. :confused:
Some would say I've had hoof and mouth disease a few times... or is that hoof in mouth?

Leslie said:

Leslie, my Michael has had croup since he was a we little guy, he's 10 now and he still gets it. Atleast 3 times a year. I know it can get bad at times...I remember in jersey standing in the bathroom in the middle of the night with the shower on, steaming the room up and then taking him out in the freezing cold just to get his bronchial to open up.....scary it is, the barking noise in their sleep to where they cant even sleep. Vicks vapor rub on the chest, front and back, then the doc would give him Albuteral, OMG, what a nightmare drug that is, they turn white as ghosts and shake unbareable...... He gets it with the weather changes, and then into his ears with fluid, we see an ENT now here in Fl and they are thinking adnoids out and tubes in the ears to stop the fluid. Hoping your guy gets well!!!! :sadhug:

My sister is 10 and gets it almost every year. The doctor gives her some pink stuff that I am allergic too and it sometimes goes away while she is being medicated.

Much luffies for the sickie.

thanks guys, that's good to know. He's pretty much over it now, just a vague cough lingers now.

Back