Cue the Styx song

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us

A columnist for the Naples Daily News in Florida says the University of Miami should ditch the Hurricanes nickname because it's insensitive to folks in storm-ravaged areas.

"Hurricanes is no longer an appropriate nickname for a sports team," writes Tom Hanson. "The NCAA can complain about Seminoles, Utes and Illini, but how many people need to die or become homeless before someone calls Miami’s moniker out of line?"

"Hurricanes should be taken seriously. They shouldn’t be cheered."

**end**

Sing it with me, now...

"I've got too much time on my hands...too much time on my hands...too much time on my hands..."

Would that be "Dennis DeYoung performing the songs of Styx" or the band now touring as Styx with (I believe) two of the original members? :lol:

When I was in the Fresno State marching band, as part of our pre-game routine we'd play a drum groove then yell "beat the [mascot] now!" So when the Tulsa Golden Hurricane came to town, we briefly considered calling them the golden showers instead. :D

Addendum: Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head, fuckwad. :(

I don't know about all the "insensitive" stuff..part, but when they first
started naming them I figured there would be trouble. Then when the names
they "could" use started running out, and the came up with the greek thing,
I thought, "Why don't they just start with "1, then 2, then 3...."
They'd never run out of numbers. :nerd:

Bunch of educated idiots :disgust:

Got to thinking. If we're gonna follow this line of logic, then the Arizona Diamondbacks need to change their name cuz I'm afeared of snakes.

The New Your Yankees definately need to be renamed, as they represent an ethnic group, one who ravaged the homesteads of my ancestors and caused generations of grief.

The San Antonio Spurs must go, as spurs traumatize horses.

The Phoenix Suns must go. Some people are sensitive to sunlight.

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, the Bengals, Jaguars...all named after potentially lethal animals that could kill someone.

Colorado Avalanche? Nope. Avalanches are natural phenomena that cause injury and psychic trauma.

It just never ends.

The Vikings are a group known for raping women and destroying villages.

The Green Bay Packers are named after a meat packing plant, might offend vegitarians.

The New Orleans Hornets...I'm alergic. Same with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

I work at the electric company, the San Diego Chargers offend me.

One team I never want to ne associated with...the UMass Minutemen :)

SouthernN'Proud said:
Got to thinking. If we're gonna follow this line of logic, then the Arizona Diamondbacks need to change their name cuz I'm afeared of snakes.

The San Antonio Spurs must go, as spurs traumatize horses.

The Phoenix Suns must go. Some people are sensitive to sunlight.

Ya got a problem with the southwest??? :eh:

Back