Culture and heritage

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Their ways

Afghanistan - Eleven-year old Gulsoma lay in a heap on the ground in front of her father-in-law. He told her that if she didn't find a missing watch by the next morning he would kill her. He almost had already.

Enraged about the missing watch, Gulsoma's father-in-law had beaten her repeatedly with a stick. She was bleeding from wounds all over her body and her right arm and right foot had been broken.

Worth the lives of our soldiers? I'm starting to wonder.

I'm really starting to wonder if it's like the starving in Africa.....
They can't really be helped enough to make a real difference. :confused:

Um .... did anyone notice a key phrase in there? Father-in-law. Not father. Father in law. That means that this eleven year old is a married woman, with a husband to defend her somewhere.

Did you not read the story? She was married at 4 to a 30 YO. He was arrested along with the father-in-law.

Nope. As stated before. I read the attached information, assuming that the poster has editted it for the pertenent information.

Even in backwater evangelical nonsensical religions involving snakes, there ain't nobody who'd marrry off a 4 year old. Was the Imam deaf dumb & blind that day?

The question you're trying not to ask, Gonz, is wether the marriage was consumated. Without a doubt. And there are dozens of cultures that marry off children even younger than that. But usually to someone equally young.

Actually, again according to the story you're lazy enough to not read, it wasn't consumated. Her father died, her mother's new husband didn't want her, and so she was basically sold off. While not sexually molested, she was effectively a household slaves, and they obviously beat their slaves in that household.

Now, it's not laziness. I've already had to deal with nasties on this here work computer. And since they pulled the T1, I'm only protected by a little Linksys router, instead of the corp secure Cisco they had before.

I hadn't even gotten to the whole consumation thing yet. I'm reeling over anybody, anywhere "marrying" at age 4. I can see & somewhat resepct promising a 4 year old but the act of marriage? C'mon. As far as consumation goes...cut e'm off & stick 'em in his mouth.

Back