damn the North West of England and its high insurance costs...

Jon

i've just had an online quote for a 1993 Fiat Uno 1.0L, worth about £100, parked round the back of my house off the street (it's enclosed by high walls). I'll have had my licence less than a year, with no no-claims bonus...

£1743 for a year, and that's just for third party, fire and theft!!! WTF is that about?!

A.B.Normal

I pay $123/month =$1476/yr This is on an '03 Dakota 4X4 with replacement cost coverage ,but its also with a 50% discount for no accidents/claims in 5+ yrs.On my '98 Sonoma with only a 4cyl ,I was paying $99 /month with 5yr safe drivers discount. I can't imagine what it would cost me with a couple of accidents,they start adding 10% per accident ,but you are allowed a Freebie(one claim doesn't effect rate).On my 80 RX7 ,I was paying $68/mnth (5yr safe drivers) ,for the most basic of coverage .Your paying for the liability coverage more than the value of the vehicle,so even if your car wasn't an '93 Fiat ,the cost would be similar.

[edit] Just noticed thats British money your talking about , if I'm correct in assuming that would be doubled in Cdn$ ($3400+ :eyepop: ),thats a screwed amount of dosh to have to fork over.[edit]

ris

who you spoken to, jon? i found direct line were the cheapest insurers out there at the moment, then naarwich union [who will usually try to match or beat direct line]. rumour has it tesco's insurance are offiering fine prices too.

when i first got the polo in 2000 i did a fair ring around and d-l were easily the best. they wanted about 560 quid when aa wanted over 900. i was 23, was taking my first insurance, and lived in inner cardiff. they obviously saw me coming.

unclehobart

Its only partly based upon the value of the machine that you drive. Half of the equation is based upon the deomgraphics of your age group being rather iffy drivers. Just because you drive an inexpensive vehichle, it doesn't mean that you can't swerve into a Ferarri dealership and take out 5 gems in one fell swoop, causing 1,000,000 in damage.

Oz

Geezua wept! Jon, someone is trying to rip yer off.

Do some shopping around.....no point in paying a coupla grand for a car that yer'd have to pay someone to steal :eh:

ps tell 'em yer do have a garage.......dumb sods don't know any different

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oz said:
ps tell 'em yer do have a garage.......dumb sods don't know any different

Until they come to your house to honor a claim, find out you lied & refuse.

Oz

Gonz said:
Until they come to your house to honor a claim, find out you lied & refuse.

Yer just tell 'em yer sold the garage the day after the car was stolen.......no insurance company here would bother takin' you to court to prove that yer didn't :shrug:

Inkara1

Most garages here are attached to the house. Even detached ones are usually made of the same stuff as the house, and are therefore a little hard to sell and move.

Oz

Inkara1 said:
Most garages here are attached to the house. Even detached ones are usually made of the same stuff as the house, and are therefore a little hard to sell and move.

Then yer don't have to lie about having a garage.....if it's built onto the house ;)

If it's not ....... just tell 'em yer had a wooden one built.