dancing for Lilo & Stitch

kuulani

Well, Disney flew 30 or so people involved with Lilo & Stitch to Hawaii as a "thank you" or something. Anywho, my hula company is scheduled to perform for them tomorrow night at the volcano. That's where I'll be tomorrow, prepping for the show.

This month's National Geographic has an article on Hawaiian culture. I perused it looking for pics of you guys. :)

Ku'u I AM NOT STARTING A FIGHT!

Upon talking with a few (very few actually) & listening to assorted radio shows & reading assorted things, it appears the only ones who know that Hawaiians are unhappy with their statehood are at OTC or JJR512. With this I'm just curious, is it you (and your family) specifically that see the injustice or is it native wide & there's just no PR firm?

What I'm getting at is, why don't the rest of us hear about the plight of native Hawaiians?:confuse3:

Gonz said:
Ku'u I AM NOT STARTING A FIGHT!

Upon talking with a few (very few actually) & listening to assorted radio shows & reading assorted things, it appears the only ones who know that Hawaiians are unhappy with their statehood are at OTC or JJR512. With this I'm just curious, is it you (and your family) specifically that see the injustice or is it native wide & there's just no PR firm?

What I'm getting at is, why don't the rest of us hear about the plight of native Hawaiians?:confuse3:

*wondering why this is in my "lilo & stitch" thread*

Hawaiians have actually been fighting for sovereignty since the overthrow in 1893. Our royalty have flown to D.C. fighting their cause, and many native sovereignty groups try to spread the word locally, nationally, and internationally. Our senators our currently pleading our case in D.C. with the "Akaka bill".

The performance was great ... meeting the Disney people was kinda cool. One of the animators drew us while we were dancing. Wow, they're good. :D

Gonz said:
Kuu said:

Sorry, I saw this & it triggered a memory. :shrug:

No prob, that's what I figured. But, I guess majority of the world doesn't know of our plight because we're not mentioned in the history books or anywhere else as wanting sovereignty. In my U.S. History class in highschool, one paragraph of my textbook mentioned the overthrow and sbusequent annexation of Hawaii.

& to be fair, not all Hawaiians are unhappy with statehood. It's easier for some people to leave well enough alone.

kuulani said:
The performance was great ... meeting the Disney people was kinda cool. One of the animators drew us while we were dancing. Wow, they're good. :D

Did you guys get a copy of the drawing?? That would be neat to see... :)

kuulani said:
Gonz said:
Kuu said:

Sorry, I saw this & it triggered a memory. :shrug:

No prob, that's what I figured. But, I guess majority of the world doesn't know of our plight because we're not mentioned in the history books or anywhere else as wanting sovereignty. In my U.S. History class in highschool, one paragraph of my textbook mentioned the overthrow and sbusequent annexation of Hawaii.

& to be fair, not all Hawaiians are unhappy with statehood. It's easier for some people to leave well enough alone.

As another little tidbit...Grover Cleveland also sponsored a bill giving Hawaians control over their own government. Didn't make it through Congress at the time, though. I believe I mentioned that before in another thread, and it kind of got swallowed up in the madness that is OTC. ;)

Ardsgaine said:
This month's National Geographic has an article on Hawaiian culture. I perused it looking for pics of you guys. :)

When the NG peoples were here a few months ago, they wanted to take pics of our halau in "native garb", or teachers told them we were too busy :D

Some friends of our took pics in a taro patch though, I wonder if it made the magazine?

Hey Gonz, the whole article is not online, but this is a quote from the mag Ards was talking about. I'm assuming that it alludes to Hawaiians wanting sovereignty.

A century after Hawaiians lost their kingdom and much of their culture, a new generation is discovering its roots—and some of them want their islands back.

On November 23, 1993, a hundred years after the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawai'i, President Clinton signed into law what has become known as the Apology Bill (Public Law 103-150). The document offers "an apology to Native Hawaiians on behalf of the United States" for using U.S. naval forces to invade Hawai'i and depose Queen Lili'uokalani in January 1893.

The law also vindicated President Grover Cleveland's report to Congress on December 18, 1893, in which he described the action as an "act of war, committed with the participation of a diplomatic representative of the United States and without authority of Congress." The diplomatic representative was John L. Stevens, the U.S. minister assigned to the Kingdom of Hawai'i, who conspired with a group of American businessmen to overtake Lili'uokalani's government in hopes of profiting from Hawai'i's annexation by the U.S.

The provisional government established by the conspirators and officially recognized by Stevens protested President Cleveland's call for the restoration of the Hawaiian monarchy, but it was unable to get the necessary support from two-thirds of the Senate to ratify a treaty of annexation. On July 4, 1894, the new Hawaiian government declared itself the Republic of Hawai'i and in January of the following year forced Queen Lili'uokalani, who had been imprisoned in her palace, to officially abdicate her throne.

— Cate Lineberry

National Geographic

*writes "buy this month's NG" on shopping list*

Back