Dayum thieves...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Well...its been an exciting day. Some punk broke into my apartment while I, and my wife, were in bed asleep. The 'alleged' perpetrator even got as far as to open the bedroom door. I jumped up, and told my wife to call 911. He ran, and I gave chase up to my apartment door. I saw him, and the car he was driving...a gold Camry with some really cheap rims. The cops pulled him...and his buddies...over within 10 minutes. I positively identified him AND the car. There was even a neighbor who gave descriptions. Turns out that all four were involved. To make this story short, this 'tough guy' was chased from an apartment by a buck-naked man armed only with a sword, which I grabbed by the door they broke, and a lot of yelling. Him and his friends got none of my property, and the will spend at least one night in jail. I will be going to the bond hearing in the morning to make sure that their bond is as high as my influence as a 'victim' will permit. Good thing I'm moving in a couple of months, too.

MrBishop

You think it was the sword that did it or that they were being chased by some nude black dude ;)

Glad they didn't take anything and you and the missus are safe.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You think it was the sword that did it or that they were being chased by some nude black dude ;)

Glad they didn't take anything and you and the missus are safe.

I think it was finding people in the home. Most people are working at this time of the day. I work 1400-2200. Besides...the sword was by the door that was broken in.

catocom

Interesting wording there mr B.
You think black people are more scary than other people?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What kind of NCO are you? No AR-15 sitting on the nighstand? Where's you 1911? A tank out front might work.....

Glad as is well. Good luck with the system.

MrBishop

I think it was finding people in the home. Most people are working at this time of the day. I work 1400-2200. Besides...the sword was by the door that was broken in.

The one time that my place was broken into, it was in the middle of the night. I used to work 23h00-07h00. The thieves thought that the place was empty. They realized after loosening the lock, entering and rifling through the filing cabinet near the door that my wife was home. They buggered off without waking her. I only found out in the morning when I saw the gouged door and open drawers. I woke up my wife, called the cops and within a month we'd moved. The lease didn't stand a chance against the crappy locks and break-in.

jimpeel

Glad you are okay. I live in CO where we have a "Make my day" law which protects us from punishment for dispatching the perpetrator to the Promised Land.

In my world what would have been chasing the guy down the hallway is a 9mm slug.

MrBishop

..unless of course he was armed too. Kinda hard to out-draw someone with their gun already drawn, eh.

jimpeel

..unless of course he was armed too. Kinda hard to out-draw someone with their gun already drawn, eh.

All I want is a 50-50 chance. I don't want my continued existence to be determined by the benevolence of the perpetrator.

It is always better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it.

MrBishop

All I want is a 50-50 chance. I don't want my continued existence to be determined by the benevolence of the perpetrator.

It is always better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it.

B&E peeps want your stuff, not your life. B&E will get you a slap on the wrist, Attempted murder/murder/assault with a deadly weapon will get you a hell of a lot of time behind bars...with guys who think you're their bitch.

Most B&E's happen when nobody's home (except badly planned ones like the one Gato just got). Having a gun in your home means that you just gave your gun away. :banghead:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Attempted murder/murder/assault with a deadly weapon will get you a hell of a lot of time behind bars...with guys who think you're their bitch.

Not in states with common sense
effective July 06 said:
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:

SECTION 1. IC 35-41-3-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006]: Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
(1) is justified in using deadly force; only and
(2) does not have a duty to retreat;
if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
(b) A person:
(1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, or curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.
(c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, or curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the
force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:
(1) is not justified in using deadly force; unless and
only if that force is justified under subsection (a).
(d) A person is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person and does not have a duty to retreat if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or stop the other person from hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight. For purposes of this subsection, an aircraft is considered to be in flight while the aircraft is:
(1) on the ground in Indiana:
(A) after the doors of the aircraft are closed for takeoff; and
(B) until the aircraft takes off;
(2) in the airspace above Indiana; or
(3) on the ground in Indiana:
(A) after the aircraft lands; and
(B) before the doors of the aircraft are opened after landing.
(e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if:
(1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime;
(2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
(3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.
(f) Notwithstanding subsection (d), a person is not justified in using force if the person:
(1) is committing, or is escaping after the commission of, a crime;
(2) provokes unlawful action by another person, with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
(3) continues to combat another person after the other person withdraws from the encounter and communicates the other person's intent to stop hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight.

jimpeel

B&E peeps want your stuff, not your life. B&E will get you a slap on the wrist, Attempted murder/murder/assault with a deadly weapon will get you a hell of a lot of time behind bars...with guys who think you're their bitch.

I'll have to tell that to my ex-boss the next time I see him. His wife was murdered by a couple of B&E types in her own home.

Most B&E's happen when nobody's home (except badly planned ones like the one Gato just got). Having a gun in your home means that you just gave your gun away. :banghead:

I give mine away piece by piece.

I guess you are a subscriber to the belief that a perp will take your firearm away from you and use it on you. that is a false premise that has been proven wrong time after time.

catocom

I give mine away piece by piece.

I guess you are a subscriber to the belief that a perp will take your firearm away from you and use it on you. that is a false premise that has been proven wrong time after time.

;)

yep, if you aren't willing to use the gun, no since having it.
I do keep mine secured, when I don't have it/them on me though. (or close to me)

MrBishop

If you aren't home but your gun is, taking your gun away from you isn't an episode of mortal kombat, it's like taking your laptop away from you...albeit, more time-consuming if the gun is locked up. Do try and keep up with the thread of the conversation.

B&E happens mostly when nobody is home.

MrBishop

Not in states with common sense

I'm talking on the side of the perp.

JoeBlowThief breaks into your house. Gets caught and jailed for B&E. S/he gets X number of months/years in jail.
JoeBlowThief breaks into your house. When he's in there, he sees that you're home and shoots you. Gets caught and jailed for B&E plus Attempted murder/murder/assault with a deadly weapon. HE (JoeBlowThief) gets MORE time in jail.

I wasn't talking about castle/self-defense laws, Gonz.

Winky

nekkid and wielding a sword U bet I ran!

I feel heartened in the knowledge that my fate will be decided
by the able and just decisions rendered by JoeBlowThief.

Actually I think I voted for him in the last election.

But I guess Gato didn’t quite see it that way.