Aunty Em

blank.gif
Decadent Tart with Black Vodka and Lime Sorbet
by Andrew Nutter

ccapftwbv_an260603_190.jpg

blank.gif

Servings: 6-8
Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Preparation Time: 40 minutes, plus 2 hours chilling plus 30 minutes churning, plus cooling
Cooking Time: 1 hour
blank.gif

Ingredients
blank.gif

225g plain flour
115g butter
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp cold water

For the filling:
190ml passion fruit puree
40ml lime juice
40ml lemon juice
250g sugar
8 eggs
425ml whipping cream
icing sugar, for caramelising

For the sorbet:
450ml water
450ml sugar
grated zest and juice of 2 limes
8 tbsp black vodka
375ml tonic water

To serve:
summer berries (blueberries, currants, raspberries, strawberrries)
tuiles
fresh mint sprigs

blank.gif

Method
blank.gif

1. First prepare the sorbet. In a saucepan, simmer together the water, sugar and lime zest until the sugar melts. Bring to the boil and cook briskly until the mixture forms a light syrup. Cool and chill for at least 2 hours.

2. Strain the syrup and stir in the vodka, tonic and lime juice. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn following instructions until frozen, around 20-30 minutes. Freeze until serving.

3. Put the flour and butter in a food processor and process until it resembles breadcrumbs.

4. Lightly beat one egg yolk with the water. Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture. Process until the mixture comes together in a ball.

5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.

6. Roll out the pastry thinly and use it to line an 4 x 18cm flan ring with a removable base. Prick the base of the pastry case all over. Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.

7. Blind bake the pastry case for 10 minutes until the pastry is pale gold.

8. Remove the baking parchment and baking beans. Beat the remaining egg yolk and brush the pastry case with it. Return the pastry case to the oven and bake for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven.

9. Lower the oven temperature to 120°C/gas 1/2.

10. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the passion fruit puree, lime and lemon juice, sugar, eggs and cream.

11. Pour the passion fruit mixture into the pastry case.

12. Bake the tart in the oven for 40 minutes until just set. Remove and cool.

13. Sprinkle a fine, even layer of icing sugar over the cooled tart and caramelise using a chef's blow-torch.

14. Serve the tart with the vodka sorbet, summer berries, tuiles and mint sprigs.
..... well, what were you expecting? :lol:

was going to try that, till i saw the part about the blow-torch.
suddenly, its not that good an idea any more.....

Blow-torching is easy.... trust me, I'm a trained chef, one of my many talents. You just need one of those little hand held ones with a nice blue flame(if you've used a camping gaz stove before that's no problem) and move it very quickly over the surface. The sugar turns brown very quickly, just don't put it on too thick.... best way to do it is to sprinkle it on with a sieve.

Back