Dell's new "D" series Latitude notebooks

greenfreak

My Dell rep has been after me to order a new Latitude D series notebook instead of the C series we usually get. When she told me they're discontinuing the C series in September, I finally bit the bullet because she matched the price of a comparable C unit.

It should be coming in in a week or so but I'm reading some disturbing things on Dell's message board, particularly about how hot it gets and a high pitched whining noise:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_harddrive&message.id=5491

I guess I'll try it out when it gets here but this isn't looking good. A lot of my users already complain about the heat the Latitudes generate underneath where they can't use it as a "lap top" because they burn their legs. Wrists are sensitive, burning your left wrist on your brand new laptop is NFG.

Anyone try one of these out yet? They look pretty cool with the new silver style. But they got rid of the PS2 ports on the laptop (there are two on the port replicator) and the floppy drive isn't standard anymore, it's optional. Wave of the future I guess. :shrug:

Kind of hard to type in oven mits, too. :D

BTW, I'm setting up eight more of these dimension 2350s this week.

Beamers??

I was looking into IBM Thinkpads today. If I present it right, my boss will let me purchase whatever I want, I'll just need to setup a new vendor account which might get tricky since I don't have the authority that he does but he's too lazy to do anything.

Like that's something new.
:disgust2:

Our service contract with our Digital server is through Compaq (now) adn they still have no idea what we have when we call for service.:disgust2:

Re: Dell's new

greenfreak said:
and the floppy drive isn't standard anymore, it's optional. Wave of the future I guess. :shrug:

Yep. Most of the laptops we sell at BBY no longer have floppies in them. Fucking HP/Compaq. I hate them both.

My wife's Vaio laptop doesn't have a floppy either. I'm not sure I'll ever need one, but if I do it'll have to be usb.

I want a laptop :(

I can't believe how much this one threa dmade me want one again. I spent much time yesterday looking them up. Still DAMN expensive though...:(

Professur said:
Just don't go Compaq. Right now, they can't do anything right. Like that's something new.
yep so very true....every PC at our call centre is a Compaq....many errors, missing DLLs and random crashes are had daily.

chcr said:
My wife's Vaio laptop doesn't have a floppy either. I'm not sure I'll ever need one, but if I do it'll have to be usb.

I still use floppies daily on customer's computers. Much faster than burning CDs for moving drivers, etc. USB Floppies are $50 at the store--what a rip.

However, my laptops at home hardly ever see use of their floppy drives.

I still use floppies daily on customer's computers. Much faster than burning CDs for moving drivers, etc.
Oh, I agree with you. I just meant I couldn't foresee needing one on my wife's laptop.

Some models of Gateway laptops do not come with floppies either, but we make sure to order them, I think they charge $35. They are hotswapable, but still it's a pain in the ass.

I've found that my Inspiron 8200 gets pretty darn toasty when playing games, shhhh don't tell my work :D

I wouldn't like to sit it on my bare legs...
My company has bought a few of those silver latitudes and silver inspiron. I like the fact they now have a wide ratio screen which makes watching DVDs very nice ;)

Edit: Spoke to a couple of guys in the Milan office. They say that their D800s don't get that hot (I sent him the thread from the dell forum). Hasn't had a temperature problem with it yet.

Back