Denial ain't just a river....

HomeLAN

Mapes says she is continuing to investigate the source of the controversial documents whose authenticity was seriously questioned by the CBS panel. She tells Ross that she had no journalistic obligation to prove the authenticity of the documents before including them in the "60 Minutes II" report. "I don't think that's the standard," she said.

Mapes says one of her few regrets in handling the story was her phone call to a member of Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign staff prior to the broadcast. "I wish to God I hadn't done it, because I think it was so wildly misinterpreted." She says she made the call only as a way to gain favor with the source who provided her with the documents.

Mapes rejects suggestions she had political motives. "I did not have it in for George Bush," she said.

Mapes also criticizes other reporters for spending too much time on her story and other flawed journalism. "I think the media's had more fun beating itself up in the last five years than it has asking hard questions of the administration or government officials, and I think that's wrong," she said.

Mapes tells Ross she feels in no way responsible for what happened at CBS News in the wake of her "60 Minutes II" report.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Investigation/story?id=1292536

I particularly like this one:

She tells Ross that she had no journalistic obligation to prove the authenticity of the documents before including them in the "60 Minutes II" report. "I don't think that's the standard," she said.

Hey, Inky! You've been trained in this field. What exactly is the standard involving verification here?

I particularly like this one.

She says she made the call only as a way to gain favor with the source who provided her with the documents.

Gee. Do'ya think maybe someone in Kerry's group maybe possibly had an agenda? Maybe they were wrong about the lead paint. The average IQ seems to be dropping even faster since it's ban.

Supermarket tabloids, contrary to popular belief, don't make up the news. They do, however, take sensationalistic news tips and don't check them all that thoroughly. To them, if it sells papers then there's no journalistic obligation to prove the authenticity.

U ain't gonna be doin' just the sports forever Sport-oh

Bender: I have such a deep admiration for guys
who role around on the floor with other guys.
Andrew: You'd never miss it. You don't have any goals.
Bender: Oh, but I do. I want to be just like you.
I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some tights.
Brian: You wear tights?
Andrew: No, I do not wear tights. I wear the required uniform.
Brian: Tights.

Back