Designing a website, which software?

sbcanada

For this high school Information Processing course, I need to create a website with graphics, sound, animation, links, content, etc. I can use Notepad, or any software I wish. Which is better, Netscape Composer, or Microsoft Frontpage Express? :)

notepad is great for designing sites but it does mean learning and writing the code effectively by hand.

of the two you posted netscape is a lighter program, easier to use and the code is cleaner.

as a matter of information only, the industry standard web package is dreamweaver [currently v4], but i am using adobe golive 5 at the moment and it is fantastic.

I have always like notepad myself. I knwo for a long while it gave me more controll over some things however maybe HTML editors have advanced a good deal? I have always disliked composer myself, heard good things about dreamweaver, guess it really depends on how good the page has to be etc and what programs you are already familiar with (not like html editors can be that different from one an other). Had some classes that just want to you insert and image and call it a web page for an assignment.

many designers i know use notepad because it creates teh cleanest possible code. if you use any other proggie then the code will be most likely developed and therefore not as clean. some programs are better at that than others.

tarez is right, some of the programs have advanced a great deal. what i really like about golive is that it is a complete site manager. inlcudes ftp server, folder and link managers etc

I don't have Dreamweaver... I have Composer and Frontpage Express. I might as well just use Composer since it's already on this computer. The website doesn't have to be too fancy or complex, but it does need to be decent. :)

Odds are for a school project composer should be able to handle the task well enough. It likely has imporved a little since I last used it. Being its on the comp already that is convient as well.

I am not interested in learning code too much, so I have tried both Front Page XP, Front Page Express (its older), and also Dreamweaver, and I have to say for a novice I found Front Page and Front Page Express to be the easiest.

I use Dreamweaver. My first sites when I was just stiffin around, were done with Composer and it's a sinch to make basic sites. But for clean, advanced sites, Dreamweaver is ideal.

Back