Destroyed yet another computer

HeXp£Øi±

I was trying to get the heatsink off my machine last night and the screwdriver slipped and slammed into the motherboard. That's two k7s5a's, three psu's and two videocards now in about four months.

F*uck me. Stuck on the laptop again. :drink:

Ahh, K7S5As are cheap enough. I have three. There needs to be a tool to take off your heat sink with though, doesn't there? Damn spring is so strong on those socket A heat sinks you have to really lean on it.

Every heatsink I've had before for my socket A had a nice screwdriver notch for it. The one I have now is great, you clip it on, then turn a dial to tighten it up. I think they should all be like that.

Yeah many of them are too tight. Mine had a notch as well much i'm also far to reckless when working with my hardware. Always have been. K7s5a's are cheap but this one was the rev5Pro and NEON PURPLE whereas all the others i've seen are black. :grinyes:
Hey...you want to sell one of those k7s5a's?

Sorry dude, I'm using them all. Let me look around though, I might have a socket A Biostar. Don't remember the model and I might not have it anymore. What processor do you have? If memory serves this will only support up to an 1100. I'll look around when I get done job hunting and let you know.

aaah nevermind. I need something that supports my current 1700+.
Anyway, it's probably about time i moved to the next generation of motherboard. Thanks though.

Heres a tip for you amateurs :p use a screw driver where you can remove the bit from, remove the bit, put the hole over the clip end and lift out, if the clip has a jutting piece for this (most do), a socket nut driver works as well. If it don and only has for a flatblade, and you really gotta shove hard to remove, just take the fan off the sink, you'll get all the leverage you need without putitng too much pressure.

Yeah, sorry Hex. It was actually a Gigabyte, and it went out in an Athlon 900 system in May. Hell of a note when you can't remember shit like that.

[POLICE VOICE]Put the screwdriver down and step away from the PC[/POLICE VOICE]

I've had a couple of near misses with the screwdriver clip thing. Not written a board off yet though. I have a M810 PCChips board that supports XPs that I could have sent you for the price of shipping if you have been in the UK.... :(

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/product/M810Lv71a.html

Although I kinda of like you so probably wouldn't have sent it to you anyway :D

PuterTutor said:
Every heatsink I've had before for my socket A had a nice screwdriver notch for it. The one I have now is great, you clip it on, then turn a dial to tighten it up. I think they should all be like that.
It did at that its just the bastard thing appears to made of Kevlar or Adamantium and wont bend!

There's a wacking great big lever on my coolermaster heatpipe that makes taking it off or putting it on a dream.

The GlobalWin's a pain though, the notch is really small, but I have some very small headed screwdrivers for working on my robots and I guess girls don't tend to press so hard.

If i really thought about it i might come to the conclusion that i'm careless on purpose to ensure a fresh supply of new parts is always coming in. :devious:

Back