digital cameras

kuulani

i'm in the market for a digital camera in the $200-range. does anyone have any thoughts on brands? models?

I'm thinking a Canon A550
21216266.GIF

or spend $50 more for a Canon A630
21123605.GIF

I wanted a better camera, so I bought a Sony DSC H5. Everything is great, except for the size, I knew it was that size before buying it, i just didn't realize (well enough) how much pain in the ass it would be to carry it.

So, do you want something to carry with you or something that you can keep in the trunk? ;)

As to whether to spend the extra for the higher-up camera... keep in mind the camera I use for the paper is 6 megapixels and the shots are big enough to work fine in the newspaper. Both those cameras have more megapixels than that. The point is, if the only difference in those cameras is megapixels, the $50 would be better spent on getting a bigger memory card. If there's a feature on the more expensive camera that would be important to you that the cheaper one doesn't have, then get the more expensive one.

I've been using a Sony DSC-W1 for home use for a bit over two years now and it's been a good camera. that model is discontinued now (it's 5 megapixels) but there are similar models. Then again, when I bought mine, the 2.5-inch screen was rare and a special feature... and now most cameras have screens that size.

One thing I like with mine is that it uses rechargable AA batteries. If my batteries die, I can grab a pair of alkaline AAs at the corner store and they'll work in a pinch, then I can recharge the AAs at my own convenience. that's cheaper than buying a second proprietary battery so that I can always have one charged and ready to go.

I definately recommend the Canons! I have a canon which I've had for over 4 years and never had any problems. Since last June I've been using it for work on a VERY regular basis and I've even dropped it on the concrete floor of a parking garage (the memory card door came off and the batteries came out) and when I got it put back together it works the same as ever. I've seen a few of the newer canons and they haven't decreased in size like most of the other camera models...I don't find my camera too big at all though and I think it's size makes it sturdy (which is always good with kiddies around).

I'm gonna be looking to buy a new digicam sometime soon (for my own use, not for work) and I am definately going with another canon.

+2 for the Canon.

I bought an A540 and I love it. Pocket-sized, easy to use, giant LCD screen, takes very nice pics and movies.

Keep in mind when you budget that you will need a carrying case (about $15), lithium batteries w/charger (about $20) and a 1 or 2GB memory card (about $40-50).

The site that Luis recommended is a good one, their reviews are detailed and thorough, and they also show prices from several excellent dealers. (I heartily recommend Crutchfield for mail order.)

One thing I like with mine is that it uses rechargable AA batteries. If my batteries die, I can grab a pair of alkaline AAs at the corner store and they'll work in a pinch, then I can recharge the AAs at my own convenience. that's cheaper than buying a second proprietary battery so that I can always have one charged and ready to go.

I second that. Propietary batteries are more expensive and harder to find than any pair of 2500mA rechargable AA.

On the down side, cameras with AA batteries tend to be bigger and if you want one of those slim "pocket" cameras you are going to have a hard time finding one without a propietary battery.

In the past I've had two sonys, which i loved, but a few of my friends say canon is better, so I'm thinking about switching to a canon.

Thanks for the thoughts, though!! I didn't think about some of your suggestions :D

Can't go wrong with Canon. 3 of my past four camaras (which I still have all of them) have been Canons. My first digital was a Fuji and it's stating to act up so I bought a Rebel Xt. LOVE this camara. Now I just have to try and get the wife to buy me a $400 lense.
I agree with Inkara spend the extra cash to upgrade the memory. You can never have too much memory. My Fuji was only 4MP and it was more than fine to deal with most photos.

I just bought one of these. The pics, so far, are pretty good. I would've preferred a canon, but the price for the A630 was a bit on the high side for me at the time. My last digital was a Canon, but it was dropped, and the card reader went TU, so I had to get a replacement fast...:crap:

Back