Do they really have nothing more important to do?

Professur

Gender-neutral title nixed in Calgary
By SHAWN LOGAN -- Sun Media
The Calgary Sun

Calgary's municipal leaders have decided to stand by their alderman.

In a narrow 8-6 vote yesterday, council rejected a call to drop the term for the more gender-neutral city councillor, with the three female members leading the charge against the plan.

Ald. Druh Farrell said getting hung up on gender when it comes to the term does little to bring women's issues to the forefront.

"I prefer alderman -- it has history and a sense of honour," she said. "I agree with social justice and inclusion, but will a name change do that?"

Calgary's longest-serving alderman, Dale Hodges, resurrected the debate that had been dormant since it last failed in 2003 after hearing a mood for change during the October municipal election.

The 24-year veteran said the title has run its course and it's time to take on a new mantle.

"It just seems it is outdated and I would like to see council adopt a new title," he said.

"Too much has been made on this about gender issues -- alderman just doesn't seem right anymore."

Ald. Joe Ceci said Calgary is being hypocritical in signing on to a coalition against racism and discrimination while still using the term alderman for all its elected officials.

"As it stands, Calgary remains a poster city for the non-inclusive," he said.

Following a short debate, council again decided to hold fast to the title, a move that left advocates for the change displeased.

Betty Donaldson, a member of Citizens for Calgary Councillors, said she was not surprised to see the women on council vote down the change but she plans to carry on the fight.

"I think the women who succeed under patriarchal systems and don't know much about gender aren't really representative of the kind of changes we need," she said.

Mayor Dave Bronconnier left chambers for the debate, noting it's up to council what it decides to call itself.

---

HOW THEY VOTED:

IN FAVOUR:

In Favour:

John Mar

Dale Hodges

Joe Ceci

Bob Hawkesworth

Jim Stevenson

Brian Pincott

---

AGAINST:

Druh Farrell

Diane Colley-Urquhart

Linda Fox-Mellway

Gord Lowe

Joe Connelly

Ric McIver

Andre Chabot

Ray Jones

---

DIDN'T VOTE:

Mayor Dave Bronconnier

Source

Sorry, but if you've nothing more important to do that haggle about names, obviously someone doesn't need to be on the payroll anymore.

Don't get too upset. When they're aguing about stupid crap like this, they aren't giving your money away & demanding you give more, more more.

Back