Doctored sea level data?

jimpeel

Once again the global warming advocates are taking creative license with the sea level data. Where will it end? I assume when we have an ice age; but they will still tell us it is because of global warming.

SOURCE

Changing Tides: Research Center Under Fire for 'Adjusted' Sea-Level Data

By Maxim Lott

Published June 17, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Is climate change raising sea levels, as Al Gore has argued -- or are climate scientists doctoring the data?

The University of Colorado’s Sea Level Research Group decided in May to add 0.3 millimeters -- or about the thickness of a fingernail -- every year to its actual measurements of sea levels, sparking criticism from experts who called it an attempt to exaggerate the effects of global warming.

"Gatekeepers of our sea level data are manufacturing a fictitious sea level rise that is not occurring," said James M. Taylor, a lawyer who focuses on environmental issues for the Heartland Institute.

Steve Nerem, the director of the widely relied-upon research center, told FoxNews.com that his group added the 0.3 millimeters per year to the actual sea level measurements because land masses, still rebounding from the ice age, are rising and increasing the amount of water that oceans can hold.

"We have to account for the fact that the ocean basins are actually getting slightly bigger... water volume is expanding," he said, a phenomenon they call glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA).

Taylor calls it tomfoolery.

"There really is no reason to do this other than to advance a political agenda," he said.

Climate scientist John Christy, a professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, said that the amount of water in the ocean and sea level were two different things.

"To me… sea level rise is what's measured against the actual coast," he told FoxNews.com. "That's what tells us the impact of rising oceans."

Taylor agreed.

"Many global warming alarmists say that vast stretches of coastline are going to be swallowed up by the sea. Well, that means we should be talking about sea level, not about global water volume."

In e-mails with FoxNews.com, Nerem indicated that he considered "sea level rise" to be the same thing as the amount of water in the ocean.

"If we correct our data to remove [the effect of rising land], it actually does cause the rate of sea level (a.k.a. ocean water volume change) rise to be bigger," Nerem wrote. The adjustment is trivial, and not worth public attention, he added.

"For the layperson, this correction is a non-issue and certainly not newsworthy… [The] effect is tiny -- only 1 inch over 100 years, whereas we expect sea level to rise 2-4 feet."

But Taylor said that the correction seemed bigger when compared with actual sea level increases.

"We’ve seen only 7 inches of sea level rise in the past century and it hasn’t sped up this century. Compared to that, this would add nearly 20 percent to the sea level rise. That's not insignificant," he told FoxNews.com.

Nerem said that the research center is considering compromising on the adjustment.

"We are considering putting both data sets on our website -- a GIA-corrected dataset, as well as one without the GIA correction," he said.

Christy said that would be a welcome change.

"I would encourage CU to put the sea level rate [with] no adjustment at the top of the website," he said.

Taylor’s takeaway: Be wary of sea level rise estimates.

"When Al Gore talks about Manhattan flooding this century, and 20 feet of sea level rise, that’s simply not going to happen. If it were going to happen, he wouldn’t have bought his multi-million dollar mansion along the coast in California."

i wonder how much mr. taylor knows about such things. being a lawyer and all.

doesn't seem like the researchers are trying to conceal what they did, and that there is rationale for adding the whopping .3mm.

as a researcher, one always tries to correct for additional factors one is aware of. it's called science.

Climate change is killing us all pay more taxes to solve it

When the sea level is going to rise 1,100 feet then gimme a call

fyfom8.jpg

I'd have near beach front then.
I think we're at about 1300 right here.
The big lake (lake lanier) is 1071 at full pool

sea level data portends the end of days!

So yer sayin' you'd prolly not notice a 12.6 inch rise by 2050?
(I won't cuz I'll be dead before then)

So, it's okay to cheat, just a little?

not what i said.

weighing new factors (as they are discovered) in to the big formula is how you get to the best answer possible. trust me on that one.

has nothing to do with why the oceans are rising. that's the specific interest of folks like prick unit gore that borrow it to use it for their own ends.

Re: sea level data portends the end of days!

So yer sayin' you'd prolly not notice a 12.6 inch rise by 2050?
(I won't cuz I'll be dead before then)

I'd be in ma 90's, and I probably would have been long wanting the end.
We ain't gonna make it past 2012 anyway...remember? :D

I don't think so...
some scientist are saying the sun is heading into a period of inactivity.
We may need more heating oil.

Wnky, have you spent every waking hour of your retirement looking for that shit?

A 12" sea level rise in 40 years dooms the planet!

did my link offend you?
or was your wife looking over your shoulder?

Neither. It's just amazing that you have a different babe for every ocassion (is "Winkymark" trademarked?)

Proud member of the Moral majority

I'm the puritanical non-sex offender
you are the one that keeps bringing up molestation
don't tweet yer weiner We aren't into that

Back