Does anyone a child who has had...

greenfreak

"Spitz Nevi" or "Spitz Nevus"? It's basically a bump or lesion on the skin, changing size, shape and color. Usually found in fair skinned children under the age of 10, on their face or legs. Could turn into melanoma later in life if not treated.

My Godson has it, right underneath his left eye. They took a biopsy and we're waiting for the results. Regardless of whether it's malignant or not, they're going to excise it. It just depends on how much skin around it they're going to take too. It can be anywhere from 1cm to 4cm (!).

Basically what I'd like to know is how bad the scarring is afterward and if anyone's known someone with this and if it was benign or not. You can barely see it in the below picture, it just looks like a freckle underneath his eye. This picture was taken in May and already this thing is a little bigger than 1cm.

We should find out in a week or so. Poor little guy has to go through this, skin healing, the scarring left behind. :mope:

jack.jpg

AW, poor sweetie! I've not heard of it gf, but I'll be thinking of him :sadhug:

Hey, every man needs a scar to show off and impress the womenfolk with. He's just getting an early start.

He is a very adorable little boy.....I have never heard of it....but from past experience ...you are close to sloan kettering and I feel it is a great place for people with cancer.....I hope that all works out well...and there is so much out there for skin grafting that he should do well with it...I wish him and his family the best of luck

Professur said:
Hey, every man needs a scar to show off and impress the womenfolk with. He's just getting an early start.
it's true....chicks dig scars....and the long ball. :D

back ON topic, the scarring shouldn't be bad at all, at his age.

the skin is still young, just make sure you have a surgeon with plastic surgery training

Also have his mom ask the docs if " Vitmin E oil "would be ok to use, and since he is so young to keep the scar protected as best as possible with sunscreen. When hubby had a VERY bad incision stick mark on his foot before they amputated, the doc in sloan Kettering told us to use Palmer's coco butter-IT WORKS WONDERS, in time with the fading of scars.
Both my boys have scars on their face, on the cheek bone, from hitting their head on the corner of a table, in time with the vitamin "E" oil , it starts to fade it. Go to a health food store - they usually have the best brand, instead of a pharmacy.
Just a suggestion-and OMG he is sooo adorable-Will keep him in my prayers.

PS. Where's Spot when you need him? He should be able to give a good suggestion.

Thanks everyone. :)

They are having a plastic surgeon do it that specializes in kids and he's going to try to keep the scarring to a minimum. If it was just excising the growth, it wouldn't be so bad but they have to take more skin around so that it doesn't spread if it is melanoma.

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way, but I've always thought that the scars you get as a kid get worse as you grow older because your skin is growing and stretching. I have a few scars and they seem more noticeable now than the pictures of when I was a kid. We're all redheads, freckled and fair skinned so I guess it could be worse-if we had olive skin or darker, scars would show up more. And better he have a scar than a large dark growth that may or may not turn into cancer, right?

Then again, if you grow up with a scar like that and you're not bothered by it from an early age, I guess it's easier than having this happen when you're a teenager or something. Mare, thanks for the advice on the vitamin E and coco butter. I'll definitely tell my sister, I'm sure she's willing to try it.

Funny thing, that picture was taken a day after he burned his right hand on a hot pizza and he was being such a trooper. After the day of the burn, he didn't even notice the big blisters or any pain. He's one of those really happy kids, always smiling and laughing. Only cries when he's in pain or really really overtired. My Jackie the Wacky. :)

gf, when i was a kid i had almost all the skin on one side of my left foot shaved off in an accident...there is still some scarring...but nothing like you'd expect. i think that the little dude will heal wonderfully. and he is such a cutey...a little scar won't matter :D

GF - he's still very small and the elacticity of his skin should prevent too much scarring. And if you treat it with vitamin e it should also help.

Best wishes to him, you & the family though, I hope he'll be OK. :)

Back