Does anyone else on here like...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Bluegrass music? I grew up with it, and even during my headbanging years always had an appreciation for it and the amount of talent it took to play it. A few years ago, when rock music started going straight to Hell (Lenny was right...Rock And Roll IS Dead), I rediscovered bluegrass. Now it's what I listen to about half the time, and if my collection were more extensive, it would probably be even more than half.

Just curious if anyone else likes it, who you like or dislike, whatever. Personally, I prefer Blue Highway, IIIrd Tyme Out, Ricky Skaggs, Lonesome River Band, Ralph Stanley, and Longview.

*wonders if this will even get a response... :nerd: *

Back a few years ago we would book a bluegrass band every other weekend at the bar I managed. We would try other stuff from time to time but the bluegrass always drew the biggest crowds. Personally, I don't care for it much, but I don't detest it either. It's just not something I'll put on my playlist, but if it's there, I won't take it off either.

I enjoy it. I can play banjo and mandolin. Speaking of your headbanging days and love of bluegrass, are you familiar with Hayseed Dixie? Their first album was (inevitably) AC/DC covers and they're a bluegrass band. "That old Lost Highway that Hank sung about and that Highway to Hell are the same damned road." :grinyes:

World Service

I heard them do an instrumental version of Hotel California live that blew my socks off.

chcr said:
are you familiar with Hayseed Dixie? Their first album was (inevitably) AC/DC covers and they're a bluegrass band.

Quite familiar. They did a KISS cover CD too.

I prefer their work-up of The Cars' "Best Friend's Girl" to anything else I've heard them do.

For comedic bluegrass stuff, you can't top the Austin Lounge Lizards. If you fileshare, check out "Teenage Immigrant Welfare Mothers On Drugs." Hilarious.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Quite familiar. They did a KISS cover CD too.

I prefer their work-up of The Cars' "Best Friend's Girl" to anything else I've heard them do.

For comedic bluegrass stuff, you can't top the Austin Lounge Lizards. If you fileshare, check out "Teenage Immigrant Welfare Mothers On Drugs." Hilarious.

I've heard cuts off "Kiss My Grass." Never heard "My Best Friends Girl" though. How 'bout the original stuff. I LMAO at Poop in a Jar. They get some airplay around here.

I can't tell you squat about bluegrass but when I hear it my head gets to banging. Turn off it's richer cousin "country" though.

I have some old Flatt & Scruggs albums that get played occasionally.

Every other Saturday afternoon at the feed & seed store they have Pickin' & Grinnin' sessions where anybody can come jam with the local bluegrass pickers. One of these days I'm gonna get up early and go hear them.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Precisely. Country music makes my colon bleed.

Depends. I can listen to some Hank or George Jones, but most of the newer "new country" singers don't do much for me. We used to call that "pop" and that ain't country.

To my ear, there hasn't been a country artist whom I would consider "authentic" since maybe Randy Travis.

I'll hear maybe 4 or 5 country songs a year that aren't horrible. It just never was my personal bag. Most of it is so simple to play, the artists rarely if ever write their own material, it is so formulaic as to be laughable, and few artists play any sort of instrument at all on their recordings.

I think that's what drew me to the two kinds of music I most enjoy. Hard rock and bluegrass. Both are fairly difficult to play, both feature people who play their own instruments, bluegrass may borrow a lot of old standards granted, but at least hard rock artists write 95% or more of the stuff they record...it just strikes me as more genuine music.

I learned long ago though that musical tastes may be the most subjective topic of conversation or debate there is. Two people can hear the same song for the first time at the same moment and arrive at polar opposite interpretations. One man's hack is another man's genius.

Isn't it ironic how many new country artists sound like & look like The Amboy Dukes?

Gonz said:
Isn't it ironic how many new country artists sound like & look like The Amboy Dukes?

Yep. (And I actually own some Amboy Dukes stuff...)

The band I think most of them sound like is The Georgia Satellites. Get past the handful of hits the GA Sats had, and it's uncanny.

Back