Does anyone know anything about router cards

One of the main advantages of discrete routing hardware is the fact that you don't need a server in many situations (mostly domestic). The card requires a PC to be on all the time and if that is the case, going for an external switching hub + routing software might be a more flexible and scaleable approach.

Having said that, £19.99 is quite cheap for something that appears to offer NAT and 4-port switching. I'm sure it does an adequate job. Bear in mind you'll need a modem for ADSL use.

MuFu.

P.S. I'd guess that the card is *just* a switch and routing etc all is software-based. You can get 8-port external routers for about £25 so if you can blag some routing software or are content to use ICS then that might be a better way to go.

Hmmm, I was just hoping to reduce the number of boxes of one sort or another that I have on my desk, but I don't intend to keep my PC on all the time.

Given the option, I wouldn't use that product. It's a hardware switch (or possibly even a hub) and a software router.

Anytime you have the choice, use a hardware product over a software product. You can get a good hardware router for the home pretty cheap these days that will do a much better job then the PCI card will.

rrfield

Back