Does Anyone Know Home Theatre Well...

Toolbox™

Hi guys and girls,

A couple of weeks ago, while I was in the mall, I walked by an audio/video shop and was automatically sucked in by the incredible sound coming from their sound room. Anyway, I made an impulsive buy and now have my own modest home theatre system, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be.

I'm looking for advise on better speakers because I got myself a reltively cheap system. Anyway, here are the components of the 7.1 DTS ES system I have:

• Pioneer DV-373 DVD Player (DTS Capable)
  • Denon AVR-1803 Amplifier (DTS Capable)
  • Velodyne CHT-12R Subwoofer
  • Sony WEGA 34" Trinitron
  • Wharfadale Diamond 8.4 Main Speakers
  • Wharfadale WH-2 Center Speaker
  • Wharfadale WH-2 Surrounds
  • Wharfadale WH-2 Surround Backs

I'm not too happy with everything that's made by Wharfadale and want to change them. My choices are KEF and Klipsch minus the subwoofer.

Anyone who can help, please let me know if there are any better, yet cheap choices out there that I can look at.

Thanks for the help. :)

Here's the system installed in my bedroom.

0043.jpg

I haven't heard of KEF.
I like those Klipsch. I've heard some great reviews on um.
I'm actually looking at getting some myself.
(that brand. I'm not sure on the model yet)

I was planning on getting the Q Series Speakers. Their Reference Series costs way too much for me especially now that I'm still an amateur at this all.

With the Klipsch, I can get their Reference Series and really target what I like - movies more than music. I'm beginning to think that the KEF's are better for music. :)

I have 2 separate systems. One for music, and one for tv.
The tv system is a mix, Kenwood, Sherwood, and Realistic. I want to get it all the same.
My main sound system is really mixed up.
(rockford fosgate, fisher, realistic, altec lansing, creative, and a couple of others...) :retard2:

I'd go with the Klipsh speakers if I had the budget. Have you tried mixing their Theater speakers with their 'stereo' speakers? Use their 'bookshelf' speakers for the fronts and 'sides', buy their center channel, use these, for the rear, and you've got something going. You can always buy the sub later...;)

I have to agree with every one else get the Klipsh but dont leave out the subwoofer I find the increased lowend helps with the sound alot.

btw your right speaker is to far to the right... both front channels should be the same distance from the center

Thanks Guys.

Gato Solo - I'll go with what you've recommended for the 7.1 system except for the rear's and sides. I may be wrong but I think tht their dipolar surrounds will fill the room with sound better.

Leslie - why do you always hate me?

Djcake - I already have a subwoofer that outperforms the Klipsch subs in many, if not all of the reviews. I have the Velodyne CHT-12R. This thing is so damn cool because it has a remote control. If I need extra bass, which I don't think I'll be needing, I'll just get nother one. I tried the Klipsch RSW12 and it doesn't provide the same punch as the Velodyne.

So in the end, this will be my final choice:

Klipsch Reference RF-25
Klipsch Reference RC-25
Klipsch Reference RS-25 (2 Pairs)

That should be good enough for a room that's about 20 X 28 feet. :)

I'll take pictures as soon as its done. I'll go shopping agin this weekend. I'll try and use the Wharfadale's for my son room. :)

Isn't 7:1 THX?

I kind of know home theater. I never could afford Klipsch home theater. My entire system costs less than many of their towers. I like my 15" woofers on my 30 year old speakers...these don't melt.

There's more to THX than how many speakers there are. It's a Lucasfilm standard, and George Lucas has a reputation for being anal. There's a whole set of criteria for THX certification.

Toolbox™ said:
Thanks Guys.

Gato Solo - I'll go with what you've recommended for the 7.1 system except for the rear's and sides. I may be wrong but I think tht their dipolar surrounds will fill the room with sound better.

Most likely, but what I recommended was for music as well. You can always adjust the output with the GE...;)

Thanks so much for the tip. I'm really aiming for just movies though. When I get deeper into music, I'll make sure to ask you. :)

Inkara1 said:
There's more to THX than how many speakers there are. It's a Lucasfilm standard, and George Lucas has a reputation for being anal. There's a whole set of criteria for THX certification.

Well, yea, but Dolby is 5.1 & DTS is 6.1. I've never heard of a 7.1 speaker system that wasn't incorporated with THX. Have you ever seen the rules? Its marketing at its best.

I can go to Best Buy and buy a THX-certified Klipsch 2.1 computer speaker setup right now. Well, tomorrow; they close at 9.

Back