Does this come under fashion?...

Aunty Em

I was talking a while back of belonging to the Norse film & Pageant society and doing viking battle re-enactments. Sadly I have no pictures of myself from that time, but my brother continued when I left and crafts and reconstructs weapons, clothing, etc from the roman through to norman period.

If you visit Sutton Hoo at any time in the future you will be fortunate enough to see his reconstruction of the Sutton Hoo Helmet.

Here are a couple of pictures taken of him on a photoshoot for some magazine or other. all the weapons and equipment were made using the original methods and styles of the time.

1. 5th Century Frankish warrior

freako104 said:
sure i think you might like this auntie www.maspien.com its an aromour shop.

An interesting site. Ivor my brother makes pieces for different museums around europe mainly. The Sutton Hoo Helmet Reconstruction is valued @ £25,000/$41,100 and took a year to research and construct, and is the truest authentication of the helmet in existence today, right down to the polished tin plating that is intended to resemble silver as in the original. The British Museum for whom he made it admitted that it was the best they had seen, and their own replica was a very poor example when compared with it.

He's going to send me some photos of his other stuff as he wants me to build him a new site for Dawn of Time Crafts, the name under which he trades. The original was last updated in 1997!:disgust2:

I'm very proud of my brother as through his skills, enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge he is now recognised as one of the foremost experts in his field and all without a single academic letter after his name, though you might think otherwise if you spoke to him. So it just goes to prove paper qualifications aren't everything. :)

I'm afraid I don't have any photos of the helmet, as my photos didn't come out because of the flashback from the helm, but he says he's going to send me some. :)

Spot said:
http://www.higgins.org/
this place isn't too far from me. been there a couple of times. i am fascinated with medieval europe.

I have to confess that I have always been much more interested in "Ancient" and "Dark Ages" Britain rather than "Medieval" Britain and Europe. Perhaps because it is or was more of a mystery than the later period at the time when I first became interested when I was about 11, 35 years ago, but it's also interesting to trace the development of arms and armour through those periods up to the present day. Personally I don't have the skills or patience to produce such beautiful pieces of work, but I greatly admire anyone who does. :)

do they have a renaissance fair over there auntie? i go to the ones here if i get a chance they are wonderful id suggest it if there is one

freako104 said:
do they have a renaissance fair over there auntie? i go to the ones here if i get a chance they are wonderful id suggest it if there is one

There are historical re-enactment societies including the sealed knot (english civil war), regia angolorum (viking & saxon), medieval, american civil war, and first and second world war amongst others who put on displays and living history days during the summer throughout Britain. As for renaissance fairs I don't know but I would assume there must be some about.

At Eindhoven in Holand they have people such as my brother living and working in a viking village over most of the summer.

Back