Doesn't fit the profile???

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
He's a white male between the ages of 20 and 48. FWIW...Ted Kaczynski didn't fit the profile of a bomber, either...:rolleyes:

DEKALB, Ill — If there is such a thing as a profile of a mass murderer, Steven Kazmierczak didn't fit it: outstanding student, engaging, polite and industrious, with what looked like a bright future in the criminal justice field.

And yet on Thursday, the 27-year-old Kazmierczak, armed with three handguns and a brand-new pump-action shotgun he had carried onto campus in a guitar case, stepped from behind a screen on the stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University and opened fire on a geology class. He killed five students before committing suicide.

Now, everyone knows I'm not in favor of gun control in general, but how was this nutjob allowed to buy weapons? He had actually been in a mental institution. Fairly recently.

Though Kazmierczak seemed friendly and normal, he had a troubled past. After high school, Kazmierczak's parents sent him to Thresholds-Mary Hill House, a psychiatric treatment center for teens, where he lived for a year while getting therapy and medication for what was described as "unruly" behavior.

Link

good question. he coulda bought the shotgun used, from virtually anybody. IL has pretty restrictive handgun laws so he prolly either stole 'em or paid a pretty penny to buy 'em illegally. shit here in WA you can buy used handguns like used long guns - no papers required, though to buy new you need to get some kinda permit.

Hey! I know...let's make more laws & more paperwork. That'll stop 'em.

i was going to say that it's usually those that don't "fit the profile" that i suspect the most, but let's not forget that this fellow had disturbing tattoos... a skull with a knife through it! OMG! surely, the mark of a madman.

There is a common factor Ash.

Where will you find more tattos...the county hospital or the county jail?

Tats don't mean there's a problem but they are an indicator.

i just find it weird that tattoos were even brought up... and i don't feel that the thins he has tattooed are an indicator of anything. plenty of people have skulls with knives through them... it's a pretty standard design, very commonly found in tattoo flash. horror movie characters? come on. a pentagram? come on! i guess i just can't get over the fact that his tattoos have been demonized, adding further to the stigma, that in many cases is completely unjustified.
i know i'm missing the larger point... but this one little detail just keeps getting to me.

Profiling works. It isn't foolproof but it does work.

Most likely though, in this casde, someone in the press was looking for a new angle.

I wonder, did this guy listen to Marilyn Manson?

well, i'm sure that if he did, his crimes would be all marilyn manson's fault!!

(isn't it sad that people even think thought that, after columbine and such?)

Most likely though, in this casde, someone in the press was looking for a new angle.

well yeah, that particular article was extremely biased. the handguns were described as "menacing" and his guns were described as an arsenal that he had worked on amassing, and it was made to sound like he got the tattoos solely for the purpose of having them while he was busy being a madman... that kind of journalism makes me feel ill.

i was going to say that it's usually those that don't "fit the profile" that i suspect the most, but let's not forget that this fellow had disturbing tattoos... a skull with a knife through it! OMG! surely, the mark of a madman.

I'll have to introduce you to a few Marines that have tattoos like that...as well as a few Special Forces grunts. You know...the type of guys that like walking down dark alleys with lots of cash, pretending to be drunk just to scare muggers. :D

that's exactly what i was thinking.... i've encountered many military people with really scary-looking tattoos... i just really dislike the mischaracterization of people with such tattoos as being someone who's going to haul off and attack people (at least, in an attack not prompted by a governmental action)!
man, days later, and i still can't get over it! *considers taking a trip to the bridge store*

Back