Dom Perininkjet

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Would you care for some Gruyere or Asiago D'Allevoto go with that printer cartridge?

Ink more expensive than champagne
3 July 2003

Ink for home printers is now seven times more expensive than vintage champagne.

Ink in a typical replacement cartridge costs about £1.70 per millilitre, compared with 1985 Dom Perignon at 23p per millilitre.

The news comes as a Which? survey shows that many cartridges say they are empty long before they are. Some printers warn users that the ink is about to run out.

Ignoring the warnings can nearly double the printing output.

That's one thing I'd have to say about Lexmarks, when they say they are empty, they usually are. That is interesting about the cost per milliliter though.

Gonz said:
Would you care for some Gruyere or Asiago D'Allevoto go with that printer cartridge?
So that's why my empty cartridge is still going... it's been like that for ages... :D

There's a new ink shop just opened not far from me where they refill the cartridges. I plan on paying them a visit soon as I have 2 empty cartridges and they charge less than half the price of one to refill them.

I have one of those satanic Epson Stylus Color 777 printers that:

1) tells you the ink's out long before it really is;
2) won't let you print in black if it "runs out" of color ink; and
3) has a chip in the cartridge that remembers if it's been empty, so the printer will think it's empty and refuse to print with it after it's been refilled.

Aunty Em said:
So that's why my empty cartridge is still going... it's been like that for ages... :D

There's a new ink shop just opened not far from me where they refill the cartridges. I plan on paying them a visit soon as I have 2 empty cartridges and they charge less than half the price of one to refill them.

A guy refilled my HP black cartridge for 3USD, the only disadvantage i noticed is that the ink takes a little longer to dry properly.

Professur said:
There's a recoder for that now. And Epson's not happy about it.
A few months later, the thing developed a tendency to print the first page of a multi-page print job, then not print the rest of the job ar anything else for a week or so. Not good when going through a divorce, so I sweet-talked my mom into buying me an HP deskjet 3650, which has been a great printer for me so far.

Luis G said:
A guy refilled my HP black cartridge for 3USD, the only disadvantage i noticed is that the ink takes a little longer to dry properly.
I've tried refilling Lexmark, and HP cartridges, Several times.
They never worked right.

catocom said:
They never worked right.

I'll see if I can find out how they refill them, it will be a bit hard because obviously they won't tell (would lose costumers). The HP cartridge I got refilled works just fine except for that drying issue, the model of the printer is HP deskjet 895Cxi, it has this bigger than usual cartridges.

We refill our own cartridges. You can get a refill kit from viking direct. Not sure if you have them in the states or canada. HP Laserjet 1200, best printer ive ever used. Flimsy paper tray though.

I've still got a L5 hp, I think it is.
Laserjet are a whole different ballgame from bubble jet when refilling.

The main ones that are the hardest to get to work right on refilling,
are the one where the print-head in made on the cartridge.

My ne canon has 4 separate cartridges, and a separate removable print head.

catocom said:
They never worked right.
I believe Lexmarks used a proprietary chip which wouldn't allow you to use anything but new lexmark cartriges as replacements (no refills, no cheap imitators).

The ones I refilled worked "partially". It was just like one or 2 colors that
wouldn't jet right. I figured it was just where the heads dried, and I couldn't
get um unclogged. :confused:
Same thing with the HPs. :banghead:

PT said:
That's one thing I'd have to say about Lexmarks, when they say they are empty, they usually are. That is interesting about the cost per milliliter though.

Pretty damn close but not exactly...I've got about 20 pages or so outta my lexmark after it claimed to be empty...

Back